Friday, 12 December 2014

I only went out for some beansproutss

But as the Co-Op is next door to the charity shop I thought I might as well pop in...
And as I stood at the till, cash in hand, I'd found a bamboo steamer and fountain pen, one of the volunteer ladies came up to me.
"Haven't seen your mum for ages. How is she?"
After quietly telling her she tapped my arm saying "It'll be alright love"

In the next charity shop Judy (72) said much the same thing. Her comforting words though interspersed with how, after losing her mum of 92 she still felt the loss even though it was several years ago.
"You never quite get over it" she said
Fighting to halt our tears we stood solemnly by the glassware, gazing at each other both missing our mums.


I managed to get the beansprouts and would have loved telling mum about the Chinese meal I'll be cooking Saturday.. She would of course bah-humbugged the idea preferring, of course, a nice bit of cod.



4 comments:

Mr NOF said...

Yes you never quite get over it. I heard a quote on TV recently about Christmas which was " It's not the quality of the gifts you receive but the quality of the people you shared
the receiving with". So true.

Linda Metcalf said...

You have so many memories....

Gloria Horsehound said...

Gift giving was just for fun Nof. What really mattered was being together. That's what I'm missing the most.

Gloria Horsehound said...

Spot on Linda. Memories galore. All precious.