Friday, 23 January 2015

Wolf Hall v. Harry Hill

Recently became converted to historical novels so the new BBC drama Wolf Hall had me all excited. Being also a fan of Harry Hill I had looked forward to his new tv show Stars in Their Eyes.
Loved one, didn't quite get the other. 

Wolf Hall was mesmerizing, all candlelight, bloodshed and brilliant performances.
Harry Hill left me wondering.
His commentaries on You've Been Framed are the best, silly, sometimes near the bone, just hilarious. Well worth rushing through your pizza for.

And although I enjoyed Wolf Hall I was put off, nay puzzled, by the leaping about from 'present' day say 1592 to the long ago say 1583, but, as it's a BBC production with a bag of top notch actors, I'll give it another go.
Harry Hills Stars though etc will have to try harder.

It's not that I don't do zany, I do, I loved Milligan, Hill and Bernie Winters (!) and to date I've loved Harry but this queer mix of talent show meets comic capers leaves me baffled.

But as with Wolf I'll give Harry another chance. But not this Saturday because this Saturday I'm going to a Vintage/Retro Disco at the church hall in aid of a local lad who's unwell. It's been arranged by a gang of vintage car/rock and roll enthusiasts who have reassuringly declared it won't be essential to go the whole hog and dress like a Teddy Boy/Girl. Thank God for that. I'll be wearing a pair of Oxfords bags, sparkling shoes and velveteen blouse.
Rock and Roll my hat!


A not-too-hard-up plumber is coming soooon to quote a price for fitting my new once in a blue moon priced fantastic priced basic bathroom. He must be doing well because I'm still waiting..............................................................................................................................................................................
So I will get on with tonight's dinner.
Chicken thighs on a pillow of cabbage.

1 comment:

Mr and Mrs NOF said...

Yes we enjoyed Wolf Hall - very atmospheric.I couldn't get on with the book though.
We recommend the Tudor novels by C J Samson and S J Parris too.