Wednesday, 14 May 2008
Woman
Woman
are you fat or thin?
Do you drink all the wine
all the time
to forget the pain you're in?
Do you sleep alone and wake alone
then go running round the walls.
Do you press delete
and then retreat
to empty rooms at nine
Do you cradle sodden toys
instead of boys
Then dry them in good sunshine
Woman
are you fat or thin?
Do you eat the cake
to alleviate
your sadness and distrust?
Do you hide in rich red
to lift your head
from the pit you call a home?
Do you want that man
the man who slaughters
instead of the man on your left?
Woman
are you fat or thin?
Do you run the mile
that stupid mile
to shine
and get good health
Or do you pound the streets, your homely streets
to rid yourself of self?
Do you sweat and stretch to remind yourself
to forget the man who killed you
And does your mind erect sweet barricades
for want of something good?
Your heart stands still in shocking white
its song the song of blues
But can you hear your friend your faithful friend
as she steps inside your shoes
she thinks as you and then does for you
without a when, a what or why
then deftly unhooks without rush or victory
his words that crucify.
So woman
my friend
my sister
myself
The simple answer is me too.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Glad to see you back blogging GLORIA!
Don't go away again.
I don't know much about poetry but I know a good poem when I see it.
Victor J.
Thanks Victor, I know very little about the mechanics of poetry, all I know is how I feel and somehow I manage to weave those feelings into a decent tapestry.
This is my favorite of your works. This is worthy of publication.
Your admiring Duchess
I keep coming back to this one. I think I'll print this and frame it and put it in my office. Would you mind?
Your Duchess
Post a Comment