Thursday, 3 October 2013

Early To Bed Early To Rise Helps This Old Horsehound

Stay Alive!
Oh yes.
Up at 5 on account of happily having to collect the car.
I dig early mornings.
Although I look foul I feel tickety boo.

Having Alex back means mum will have her morning in Rochford and that's alright with me because although I bleat on about my dodgy painful hips I secretly enjoy doing the whole mum/daughter shopping thing . It's so funny seeing mum emptying her purse with me tut tutting.
I'm looking forward to today.

Last night's food was fabulous. I made a Lamb and Lentil Casserole.....A bag of defrosted lamb chops from Morrisons layered with unpeeled sliced potatoes, onions, carrots and green lentils simmered for hours in beef stock, cranberry jelly and parsley bits. 
The beauty of this lovely dish is that it's so simple to make. There isn't any pre-frying , everything goes into the pot raw... Juicy fatty chops, pretty green earthy lentils and homely vegetables. Comfort food at its best.
For pud I made a Very Berry Trifle. 
A shop bought Swiss roll sliced and laid in my best glass bowl then topped with half a bag of frozen mixed berries (strawberries, redcurrants, blackberries) and some sugar. Rather than make a real custard I used Bird's custard powder and full fat milk, it tastes so good. After some time in the fridge to firm it up, I whipped half a pint of double cream and swirled it on top. For fun, colour and crunch I scattered lots of toasted flaked almonds on top of the trifle... (Watch toasting almonds, don't be tempted to check emails....)

It was lapped up.

Today's offering is a chicken pearl barley risotto, and for my sweet tooth, chocolate pudding.

Now I must fly, my 'me' time is running out! But having said that I have had a good bunch of me hours!





1 comment:

Guernsey Girl said...

First of all that trifle sounds delicious. I make a similar version, taught to me years ago with no jelly (as this is the 'proper' way) and always with Birds custard powder. I add sherry when people are coming! Sorry I've been absent for a while - it's been a hectic few weeks. On top of that I've had problems with laptop which suddenly sent out all my old blogs to everyone without even asking me first. Humble apologies for that and send my regards to your Mum. GGxx