Friday, 9 August 2013

Good and Honest........

.........Are Bertie and tonight's tea.

Bertie is being pampered. 
A little something here, a lot of something over there. And he's coming round nicely. Several bags of bits and bobs lounge in the garage waiting to be utilised. But Bertie can't be rushed. He's middle aged and looks it. 
As I write Mr Hairy Suit is doing the rounds, dealing with engineering type blokes and jolly good mates who know a thing or two about engines and bodywork. I, of course don't know anything that's why I'm indoors cooking.......

Sausage Saxony.

Take 500g of your favourite sausages fry them until well browned then pop them into a casserole dish.
Then fry a couple of slices of bacon chopped and trimmed of fat along with two sliced onions. Cook till brown.
Add these to the snorkers.
Pour over a can of Oxtail soup, a snowfall of mixed herbs (I used fresh parsley, dried basil, oregano, thyme and sage) lots of black pepper and a dusting of salt.
I added two chopped mushrooms too.
Lid it and braise for an hour or so. Nothing drastic will occur if left longer.
I think snorkers are best served with a dainty pile of creamy mash (butter and full fat milk a must) and a simple green veg like sprouts or green beans.

And to satisfy my sweet tooth...For pudding....Queen of Puddings.
Two slices of white bread blitzed to crumbs then put into a baking dish.
One egg yolk and one whole egg mixed with vanilla essence or extract, two tablespoons of sugar and half a pint of full fat milk. Blend thoroughly and strain over the breadcrumbs. Leave to soak for an hour.
Then bake in a bain marie till firm and set and slightly brown.

Remove from oven spread with warmed red jam and top with meringue. Made with one egg white and 50g sugar. Spread over custard, peak it and bake till tinged and set.
A light and lovely dessert.
Purse friendly too. 
In fact the whole meal, although good enough for a Lord, costs very little to make.

Now I must fly...
Tea and a nice slice of buttered tea bread calls.

3 comments:

Terry said...

Not seen your blog for some time and missed all the news. Campervan- wonderful addition to your family and so useful. Has this replaced the sports car? Now you can play dodgems with big vehicle!

Gloria Horsehound said...

My dearest Terry good to see you again, you rich old rascal you.
The campervan will certainly be useful, especially for taking out the old and infirm...
But it hasn't, I'm pleased to say, taken the place of Rosie the MG.

Terry said...

Old rascal maybe but rich never! So which are you now old or infirm!!