Monday, 14 April 2014

Feeling jolly and very relieved at mum's umpteenth comeback ( she caused a great deal of concern last week) I threw myself into Sunday festivities...

After giving mum a soapy scrub down I set about making dinner ( braised bacon and vegetables) then I cavorted around the garden like a ten year old, re-arranging pots and cats and generally liking life.
Then I got Hairy Suit to check out my bike.
This is the bike my friend Ken got for me ages ago.... A small wheeled 1960's British Racing Green job complete with plastic bag. I've ridden it lots of time but haven't done so lately for these reasons. No time. Dodgy gears and dodgy hips.
But as Hairy pumped the tyres, oiled things and generally spruced it up I envisaged getting back on the old donkey to glide along country roads with nothing but a cold sausage in me pocket.
Yes, I thought, this WILL be grand.

Within a few minutes the bike was roadworthy....
So off I recklessly sped, long dress flying, bare legs looking white and ghastly, but with a joy only 10 year olds know...............only to come a cropper at Victory Road.
Ouch!
As I turned, too quickly as it happens, I went flying through the warm Spring air landing rather ungainly on my left hip.
Within seconds Mr Hairy was at the disaster scene, having been running after me all the way along the road.
And as I disentangled my bleeding legs from the old bicycle I laughed. I had to. I wasn't wearing any underwear. ( warm day, good mood)
And hobbling back indoors I knew that without a doubt it is these very actions that help keep one youthful...And sane.
But oh the gunge that spewed forth from my left knee, proper yuk it was, but as Mr Horsehound dabbed it with well watered down bleach I saw nothing but the funny side of the whole caper.
I needed danger.

Mum had been very poorly that week and had only been out for an hour. I was convinced she was dying, proper. But somehow, she rallied and ate a nice piece of gammon yesterday.

And I went cycling.....


Today we, that's super-mum and myself, are in the car. Off out into he sunlight  on our regular Monday trip to Hockley for a rummage in the reduced bins:)

3 comments:

The Hairy Suit said...

Oh Gloria what a day we had....... highlights thrills and spills for sure. Dinner was fabulous. The sight of you speeding along free, skirts billowing, smiling and laughing as you went was priceless and made my heart leap for joy to see you like that, and I was so pleased your injuries from your acrobatics didn't hold you back when we danced in the evening together. ........ aaaaah what a girl you are Darling. And as for Mother bouncing back....... just amazing. Keep smiling Gloria just like you make me smile he he

Gloria Horsehound said...

Yes the dancing was smashing wasn't it? Mother certainly enjoyed watching us. She told me it reminded her of when she and dad jived around the dining table many moons ago.

The Hairy Suit said...

Fantastic. .... good memories are priceless