Thursday, 30 October 2014

Priorities

The garage needs tidying, re-arranging, given the Gloria HoHo make-over. The hall needs to be finished...half painted and then left, a common occurence I like to think. The garden needs a brisk loving hand.
However I won't be doing any of these jobs until after Mr Horsehound has finished his Autumn holiday. A week a away from work to rest and play. A week in which two of those precious days will be spent in Paris. With me.

Night after night of looking across the tea table at his reasonably handsome but pale old face made me think "Oh boy, you need a break, man".
So I got going......

I thought about holiday cottages in Suffolk/Essex,  and, tranquil and interesting as they were, I decided on a hotel in the middle of Paris.
I, along with Hairy Suit, did it all online. I booked our passage on EuroStar, bagged a big room at Grand Hotel des Gobelins  57, Boulevard Saint-Marcel and then Hairy and I trained it to London to pick up the tickets at St Pancreas International.
Mr Hairy Suit was constantly in attendance and constantly amazed.
We exchanged Sterling for Euros, had an outrageously over-priced piece of cake and cup of tea but it was worth it.
I was doing something wonderful.
Keeping it secret lasted 24 hours.
I HAD to tell him. So Tuesday evening, just before we had a pair of pork chops I dropped his passport onto his dinner plate saying "You're going to need this"
Puzzlement, paleness, stutterings.
Then I handed him his small bag of Euros, train tickets and camera.
"What's this?" he cried. Literally.

He's been happy ever since.

7 comments:

Linda Metcalf said...

Wonderful....an amazing gift!

Mrs and Mr NOF said...

That's wonderful news Gloria. If you can try and take the boat trip along the Seine at dusk as the lights come on. Very romantic!!! We wish you both a most enjoyable trip.

Mrs NOF said...

Oh la la!

Gloria Horsehound said...

He deserves something wonderful Linda.

Gloria Horsehound said...

Yes indeed Mrs Nof oooh lala and all that. But I don't want Mr Horsehound getting ideas..not with his back

Gloria Horsehound said...

We'll have the Monday afternoon and evening and all day and some of the evening on Tuesday. We'll do as much as we can. I just wanted him to have a change of scene. And scenes don't come much prettier than Paris in the Autumn.

The Hairy Suit said...

Fantastic Gloria x and it was my pleasure in some small way to help make it a reality. Hope you two have the best time...... you both deserve it x