Cooking is a life saver, literally and metaphorically.
Having spent the last few hours trying to keep my spirits up (mum yellow, me drained etc) I've finally calmed down but only after flicking through a secondhand Gary Rhodes recipe book (today £1). In it I found a couple of dreamy dishes, hot pickled red onions and lemon spotted dick. Both most definitely my cup of tea.
Talking of tea...Mine will be late tonight on account of Mr H doing some overtime, but the cidered chicken casserole braising in the oven is good natured so won't mind hanging around.
This supremely easy Mary Berry concoction is one I make time and again, quick to prepare and doesn't cost the earth,,,
After a few chicken portion have browned nicely put them into a casserole dish, then add to the pan a can of tomatoes, some chopped garlic ( I used 5 cloves) 2 tablespoons of thyme lemon and parsley stuffing mix, 5fl oz cider or wine (I'm using Bulmers cider) lots of black pepper and finally a good large dollop of non diabetic apricot jam.OK.....Mix it all together making sure you scrape in every bit of chicken sediment.... then pour it over the chicken. So easy. Cook in oven for about an hour but can be left for much longer without much risk of damage to pot or body.
A flash of microwaved shredded greens will be the base for the chicken, love the colour of barely cooked greens, so vibrant and real. Mashed potatoes too. Really addicted to them now. The truest comfort food of all.
No pudding tonight on account of the lateness of the hour.
And on account of sitting on mum's bed eating McDonalds. Stunning fries. Hot crisp and gone. McDonalds are, to me, salve to my mental abrasions.
It's been a day of spectacular differences.
And days like this leave me wanting to hibernate for ever. Love. Anxiety. The usual villains. But after a small plate of chicken I expect I'll buck up.
.
Tuesday, 13 November 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment