Monday, 18 November 2013

Just the good stuff

Made a stunning Steak and Kidney pudding for dinner yesterday. It was the best one I've made. Packed with chopped braising steak, ox kidney, onion, grated carrot, beef stock, Worcestershire sauce, a dollop of HP sauce and well seasoned.
After steaming it for two hours I turned it out and cut into the featherlight suet pastry. The hot meat and veg slipped out covered in thick brown gravy. To go with it a simple veg combi of plain boiled potatoes and sprouts. Mustard on the side for the grown-ups and for me a squirt of tomato ketchup.

The sweet course was just that. Sweet. A family size Bread and Butter pudding which, for a change, wasn't chokka with dried fruits, I sometimes overdo it. Instead I used far fewer fruits. Much better and no burnt raisins stuck to the baked bread like fried flies.
A drizzle of cream was all that was needed to complete the perfect afters.

Today's offering is corned beef, roast potatoes and peas followed by Queen of Puddings. A nursery pudding made with breadcrumbs, egg custard, jam and meringue...
Certainly been using a lot of bread in my cooking lately. Also being baked this afternoon is Mrs Gordon's Boil and Bake Fruitcake. And as I type a saucepan of... raisins, dried cranberries, sultanas, cherries, dark brown sugar, margarine and water is simmering away... When done (20 minutes) it'll be left to cool then flour, eggs and mixed spices will be added.
Lasts forever and is good toasted too.

On my weekly trek to Hockley charity shops I bought another baking book, this one with a continental feel. Lots of queer things I haven't seen before with a few American recipes thrown in aswell. Couldn't keep my hands of it as I munched through a McDonalds and fries.

Also bought for a pittance a bright cherry red saucepan.




No comments: