Thursday, 21 November 2013

Southend-On-Sea

...........A fruitful shopping expedition in the rain

Splashed and damp but we hauled home....

A new leopard print three quarter length coat for mother plus a frilly vest and silly slippers.

For me....bought in a charity shop, an old book called 'A Year's Dinners' written by May Little. No date inside. But by the contents I'm guessing the 1920's 30's.
On the first page it says... 365 Seasonal Dinners. With Instructions for Cooking. A Handy Guide-Book for Worried Housekeepers. (That bit really tickled me)
By May Little, First Class Diplomee, Late Staff Teacher at the National Society's Training School of Cookery, London. Author of "Cookery Up To Date"

It's a glimpse into a bygone age. I love it...... Water Lily Savoury. Cheese Eclairs. Minced Duck and Tomatoes.Calf's Feet Fritters. Sprouts and Cheese. Chicken Kromeskis.

Mum and me spent a good couple of hours jostling with other shopping ladies thoroughly enjoying the warm squeezes and smiles.
I offered tea and toasted tea cakes but mum declined so after a bit of buying in Poundland we headed back to the car where I wrapped mother up like an precious parcel.

Home via McDonalds.



Tonight's Tea...

Minced beef and vegetables with dumplings and mini roasted potatoes

No comments: