Thursday, 28 November 2013

This morning a jar of whole stem ginger and bag of poppy seeds satisfied my baking lust.

This morning Mother told me I wasn't happy.

This afternoon I'm making a Cottage Pie then watching Alan Ladd in Shane.
And that Mother darling makes me happy.

I know what mum means though, I do have days when I dislike living and mum being ever present and everywhere sees it, she sees all, in that respect she is very much like God.


A list of goodies to be baked between now and Christmas Eve...

Moist Gingerbread with Stem Ginger and Lemon Icing. 
Dark and sweet. Yum

Hot Cross Buns without the crosses. 
Ideal toasted and buttered and enjoyed with tea on a winters afternoon.

Lemon and Poppy Seed Traybake. 
Squares of it can be warmed in the microwave for a minute then served with cream. In fact I often serve cake this way. Another winner is slices of Madeira with pears and chocolate sauce.

Rich Fruit Cake with marzipan and white icing. A lazy girl's quickie xmas cake. A jar of Luxury Mincemeat is added to a bowl of flour, butter, glace cherries, nuts and eggs. Baked. Then marzipanned and iced. Quick, effortless but tastes like its taken three months to mature.Alcohol optional.

Coffee and Walnut Sponge.
A classic. I use camp coffee and chicory essence to flavour the sweet buttery icing. Served in wedges on its own, any more sugar and you'd probably feel ill.


Cherry Pie.
Crisp buttery pastry shell filled with a jar of cherries warmed and thickened with cornflour and flavoured with almond essence. Gorgeous served hot with ice cream or whipped cream. Or on its own on a small plate dusted with icing sugar. Very festive especially if doileys are used.


When I'm not cooking I'm reading...
This book is perfect for childless dreamers like me.








4 comments:

The Hairy Suit said...

Looking forward to happy days with you Gloria, your baking wish list looks yummy, can't wait to bake and eat iy with you he he

Gloria Horsehound said...

Yes Hairy lots of happy days shaving off the burnt bits!

Digger said...

What a coinkidink - we watched Shane last weekend. An all-time fave, it never disappoints.

Gloria Horsehound said...

Yep Dig, sure is a great film.