Friday, 24 January 2014

I've felt unusually cheerful today not even the drop in temperature and mother's insistence on another shopping spree could darken my lightness.
And so, with the wind in our faces and a letter about library fines in my bag we stormed Rochford Square.
Not many folk about.
Oh goody I thought. Not so many ankles to bruise or faces to face as I push mum around in her heavy chair.
As I pleaded innocent on all counts (not being aware the Tom Clancy book was two months overdue) the lovely black haired library assistant dismissed the threatening letter as an oversight and I'm not to worry about it lovey. Phew! And before my words of thankfulness reached her over earringed ears mum and me were outta there.

We stopped off at The Havens Hospice charity shop, a few minutes walk from the library, and found therein a tube of Boots Royal Jelly Hand cream (20p.) Unwanted Christmas present I expect. That's cool. It'll be perfect for inclusion in my oversized handbag.
Also bagged was another tube...This time Dove Intensive Conditioner for weak hair. What? Why I buy that? My hair is silky and good, bit raggedy and uneven but certainly not in need of intensive therapy. But at only 30p I couldn't let it lay there by a basket of perm curlers gathering dust.
I love finding gems.
Talking of gems look at this
                                                               Happy Red Cheesecake


I went ethical yesterday and made a whole load of Indian inspired Vegetarian food. Not wishing to be too saintly I also made this Strawberry Cheesecake.
I felt good yesterday and it showed in my choices.
Firstly I dropped Mr Horsehound off at the dentists (root canal) I didn't want him to have to do the train on account of it being his day orf so I wanted to treat him to something nice. Secondly I decided to revert to doing the Sainsburys run. Mum was with me but I abandoned her by the nice wooden bench at the far end of the store where the trolleys are left while I dreamily roamed the aisles filling my little trolley.
Thirdly I'd invited Hairy Suit to come for tea. He's a lovely man/boy/confidante/mover of extreme furniture and holder of innovative ideas. He also shares my love of high end nosh.
I'd also plumped for a non-meat dinner which always fills me with a kind of clean gladness. There is something especially pleasing about making delicious meals with earthy wholesome non sparkling mud loving ingredients.

On the menu:

Chick Pea and Potato Pasties.
The pastry was made using Brown Bread Flour instead of the usual shortcrust. It was rested and then rolled into medium sized circles then filled with chick peas, onion, potatoes then lavishly flavoured with cumin seeds and coriander.

Vegetable Dhal
Red lentils braised in water with potato, tomatoes, chestnut mushrooms, carrot, onion, green pepper. Spices used were ginger, chilli, cumin, coriander, pepper, turmeric, garlic and the usual salt and black pepper.


Simple Rice

Long grain rice (not easy - cook) simmered in turmeric infused water, then left to dry orf.
A dozen mini Onion Bhajis (shop bought)
And Garlic and Coriander Pittas (shop bought)

All served with Greek Yoghurt and a spiced fruit Chutney from Morrisons.
It tasted wonderful and we weren't fussed about having a meatless day.

I would though have been very disappointed if I'd left out Pudding.
So a quick to assemble Cheesecake was the order of the day.
Effortless. Fabulous and Utterly Gone. Even  mum wanted some. And her being diabetic and all.

Small carton of double cream electrically mixed with small carton of Greek yoghurt mixed and a little sugar and 225 g of full fat cream cheese. Treat well. Then tip carefully into biscuit lined tin ( I used a third of a packet of ordinary basic cheap Digestive biscuits crumbed and mixed with a little melted butter and soft brown sugar). Leave in fridge to set then go bonkers with fruit. From abroad foreign Strawberries sliced then glazed with slightly melted diabetic strawberry jam. Don't overdo the melting otherwise it goes all runny and bloodlike.





No comments: