Monday, 4 March 2013

......A quick trip to the recycle bins then into our two favourite charity shops in Hockley. The lady in Friends of Lions is such a warm soul, not inquisitive just a gentle 'you alright?'
Our prizes today were...One magazine for mum (25p) and two bunches of artificial flowers for me. Delicate small lilac coloured blooms in tall slim heavy brown vase and large faced baby pink flower sprouting from a plastic mock crock plant pot. I think I know what I mean!.Total monies spent £1:50.

Then next door to the Harrods of Hockley; Fairhavens.
After fingering through the handbags a browse around the blouses then onto my favourite shelf, the bric-a-brac shelf.
Nothing. Not a pickle. Ended up spending £2 on a DVD. Flatliners with Julia Roberts, Keifer Sutherland and other luminaries.
The right Madam manning the till squinted reading the price sticker "Oh, I do need really to wear my glasses" she cried holding a well lined old hand to her lived-in face.
I dissed her. I don't like it when blind as bats women refuse to don their spectacles. Makes not a jot of difference to a man whether a bird is a four eyes or not, it's what you do with your face that counts. Smiling helps.
I paid her and off mum and I went to the blasted Co-Op wherein a lovely angel of a woman took mum's money for OK! magazine, small hovis and 500g of Cumberland sausages.
I really loved the middle-aged cashier because she was fresh faced, had wisps of salt and pepper hair escaping from her lopsided bun and smiled broadly. She packed the carrier bag carefully and slowly, (another plus point from me) Raging cashiers who rush like hell to get onto the next customer give me the pip. But this 50+ woman was calm and pleasant.

Then we left, making our way to the car park walking slowly in wonderful mood lifting sunlight, it wouldn't have mattered to me if the pavement had been an ice rink and old dears were dropping like flies, breaking hips...the sun shone and I felt ok and mum, bless her, was still alive buying yet another blasted magazine...:)

Bing cooked today..... Sage and Onion Toad-in-The-Hole, mashed potatoes and baked beans. I'll rustle up a Bread Pudding later, always nice to have a fruity thing in the tin.


1 comment:

NOF said...

Uplifting as aleays - well mostly allways!! Thanks Gloria