Friday, 8 March 2013

...........After waiting in for nursie (all ok) I phoned docs to bag a p.m. appointment for mum....Only slot they had was 16:30.
Eeek! But well. Ok.
So after listening to mum's lambasting of the NHS we went to Rchford town, just for a couple of hours....just to look in the shops, and get some fresh air and get wet.
Mum of course was sheltered by a black umbrella, me, idiot, wearing a large pink head scarf. weaving the wheelchair between bollards and cars.

First stop the Havens Hospice shop where mum loaded her lap with a size 8 pink blouse, size 8 grey skirt and green chain handled handbag. I didn't feel much like looking but a dress caught my eyes, hanging at the end of the well stocked rail, it kind of sung to me, and a pretty tune it was too. Full of references to springtime and fairer weather. Generally of better days...

We paid Irene and left.
We were still way too early for the docs so I risked the Wrath of Mother by mentioning the c word. Cafe. Affirmative. My God. So orf we went... up an alley and across the narrow road pushing open the door of the steamy windowed cafe only to be greeted by an overall covered lady shoving a mop.

We sat over there, in the corner because the lady asked us to, something about washing the floor she said pleasantly.
I ordered what could only be ordered in a cafe of that kind. Two teas and the biggest Eccles cake I've ever seen.

Mum didn't have any of course (diabetic) but the tea went down a treat. Sitting there, in there, in the corner felt fine, after all getting mum to eat or drink outside the bungalow has been, till now,  impossible. She now though seems willing to give anything a try. The tea was excellent, likewise the plate-sized Eccles cake, love.

We chatted about her illness as the mop lady cleaned, even going up to the corners. (5 star rating on board outside). And as the lady mopped we swapped ideas about how mum's going to fare when she 'goes home'. It wasn't a long conversation.

With rain hitting the pavements hard I said it was time to leave and so left thanking the lady as we did so"Tea lovely" I commented "Tetleys" she said smiling leaning on her mop.

Mum being in no rush to see her GP we did a detour to the blasted Co-Op for magazines and a DVD....
I spotted it at the checkout and thought it would be exciting viewing over the weekend...

The surgery was empty save for a little green hatted woman aged I'd say around 80. Her skin was cream coloured and in excellent condition, lined of course but a fresh clean living kind of lined.

Saw doc.
He was/is concerned about kidney malfunction so another blood test Monday then another visit Tuesday taking all her meds with us :(  But that will probably mean another cup of tea and another giant Eccles cake. So in the rain a little rainbow:)

2 comments:

The Hairy Suit said...

Gloria, good to see Mum discovering there is so much more to life and grabbing it with both hands, a tip out to the country pub earlier in the week and frequenting cosy traditional old bakery cafes orf Rochford square today, where next, maybe we can talk her into us all going out to lunch next week, well you'll hardly be able to cook whilst in the midst of your new kitchen being shoe horned in eh? And...... there's a bowling alley in Hockley wonder what Mum would make of that he he, or maybe a wizz down to the end of Southend Peir to that little cafe they used in Jamie and Jimmie's big food fight, I wonder if they've poshed it all up now they're famous ha ha ?

Gloria Horsehound said...

Hello Hairy, WOW!
Millions of ideas there! I think lunch out is a good idea also running along the pier. We'll get our heads together and sort something out. Can't wait:)