Monday, 12 September 2011

I have gone baking bonkers...
And after seeing how I looked in yesterday's pic I'm not worried at all about getting to grips with a Pig's Bum. Later in the week.

Today I'm making a Chicken and Vegetable Pie and will serve it with jacket tatties and spicy beans. This oh so simple pie is a mess-up of a Mary Berry recipe, in the original she used cold lamb and onions and it is very good indeed but as I'm always roasting chickens I'm always left with tasty leftovers.....The veg part is either left-over carrots and peas or a frozen medley of corn, peas, green beans and carrot. Whichever way you make it, this little pie is always a winner.

So...fry an onion till soft and brownish, add a little plain flour, cook for a couple of mins then add some milk and a crushed stock cube (oxo) and stir till thick.
Take pan from heat and add chopped chicken and veg, stir to amalgamate thoroughly, add a few shakes of Worcestershire sauce and plenty of pepper. A sprinkling of salt too.
Allow to go cold while you make up some shortcrust pastry.
After it's rested..roll it and line a pie plate. Fill with chicken mix, cover with pastry, punch a hole in the top, glaze with either milk or egg then bake slowly for about 1 hour. I prefer a long slow bake to make certain the bottom crust gets done..

Talking of 'areas'...I will, probably on Thursday, make Pig's Bum. I found this funny recipe in a newspaper ages ago, I'd been away staying in a hotel and when, one morning I had nothing much on, I'd perused a local paper and 'twas therein I found the porcine fancy.
Some time later...I'd shoved it somewhere and lost it, and it was only recently that I came across it whilst looking for something else.
Rhubarb is the main ingredient...More later in the week...

No comments: