Friday, 14 October 2011

Cold Sponge Dear?


Yo! Angies Here! Bring Out The Branston!

I've only gone and done it.
I've only gone and got meself a job.
And not a stoopid one either.

I will, from tommorow, be on the payroll of the W.R.V.S as a Driver!

There be I donned in a snazzy uniform of royal purple sweat shirt, black trousers and coloured badge. (hat optional). I'll be driving a Smart Car round the mean streets of Leigh-On-Sea delivering hot meals to older people who are either housebound or just really old. I won't be on my own for the first couple of weeks, I'll be accompanying Kevin, a long-term driver.
The thought of scooting around the seaside with twenty eight treacle sponges and twenty eight cottage pies in the boot fills me with both trepidation and excitement.
Old people need food I suppose so I'll do my very best to deliver.

Back story...
An acquaintance of mine told me about the vacancy and in a daze of too much cake and little sleep I applied and bagged it. Not easily though. I had to sit through two interviews, be trawled through police computers and get two referees to vouch for me. That bit was easy. the interviews however were more complex and draining. Brenda, the chief, asked me lots and lots and lots of questions then said she liked me...Adding that providing the refs are ok I'd almost certainly be a player.
So bless your heart Parkin and kind of bless your heart Henry...Yes, you heard right...bloody Henry the man with breathing difficulties and mental malfunctions he too gave me a glowing reference. Will cost you though darling he said... so have been invited to his castle to see his renovations.
Have already put him off, the thought of hearing his booming vocals again gives me the pip, I was supposed to visit the old duffer today but fortunately I had other pressing arrangements.

Where was I?
Oh yes..dealing with old people.
Tomorrow Kevin will show me the ropes. i.e. how to test car lights are working, checking the oil, reading a list of names and memorizing how to get to places by the seaside.
If I muck up tomorrow I'll have another go Sunday... when Kevin's car will be loaded with roast beef...What a hoot:)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats. Me? I just turned another year older.

Jerry from the West Coast

NOF said...

Lovely news Gloria. Congratulations. You'll be
a great success with the oldies I'm sure.

Gloria Horsehound said...

Yes Jerry congrats! Becoming a Grandad has to be the coolest achievement.

Gloria Horsehound said...

Thanks Nof...and you know all about being a grandad too.....I hope the old seasiders dig my sense of black humour....Yo man!

Anonymous said...

Cold Sponge ?

I,d rather watch you melt an ice cube on me :-) Mmmmmm

Terry said...

So at last you will learn the essentials of a car. Reversing now that should be fun!