Wednesday, 5 February 2014

Things I Can't Give Up.updated.

Butter
Lipstick
Eggs
Girdles
Pastry

What can't YOU give up?


Another item I'd rather not lose is the great British Snorker.
So loved up with it that I consume, on average, two a week. They are always thick and fat, never ever would I engage my mouth in the chewing of a chipolata. What IS the point?

Tonight's fare is baked Cumberland sausages (Sainsburys do good ones) with potato boulangere (Delia recipe) and green beans and carrots. To satisfy my sweet tooth a very small Plum Pudding and custard.
Talking of plums.... Mother's new electric cushion arrived this afternoon.
"Don't want it" Mother spat
"Alright" I said knowing this would be her first reaction.
She really loathes the equipment the NHS offer but she needs it and that's the trouble...
The special mattress, pills, bathroom equipment and wheelchair are not seen as helpful aides, to mum they are offensive, intrusions into her life which remind her constantly how sick she is. They smack of dependency too and there's nothing Mum dislikes more than being helpless.

But we struggle on do Mother and I, and today was no exception. We, that's the ever hungry Mr Hairy and myself, took mum shopping. She said she didn't need anything but she needed to tootle orf out. So out we went.
The weather was horrible, rain and bitter wind but with merry smiles ( me and Hairy) we accompanied glum mum around Boots and Primark.
On our way home we picked  up some burgers at McDonalds drive thru. She loves fries.
She is a remarkable human being, stoically soldiering on when others might falter.
I can't help but be in awe of the old bean. When first diagnosed with cancer we sat in the hospital car park in a daze but without drama she said in an everyday kind of voice

"Why should I be immune from this, I'm not special"

Three years on and she's still eating chips. I'd say that's special.

My Number One Fan...The Nof can't give up Aunt Bessie's Roly Poly, Curry and Music. 

With you on the curry and music but shop  bought roly poly..Oh No Nof!







4 comments:

The Hairy Suit said...

You Gloria. ........ You Darling

Gloria Horsehound said...

It's no good buttering me up Hairy, you still can't have any more cake

The Hairy Suit said...

Ha ha, your cake is wonderful that's true. But you know my desire is really only for you my Darling Gloria

NOF said...

I can't give up music, Aunt Bessie's Jam Roly Poly and curry.