
I went out to lunch today to an olde worlde (1600's) pub. And so why is that so earth shattering I hear you ask. Well m'dears it wasn't any old boozer full of old sorts it was a tiny old place owned by the very uncle of Jamie Oliver.
And within it's timbered walls I got quite overcome by sizes.
The size of the place was not unlike the mission hall we passed as we meandered along scenery so peaceful and pretty it made me wish I could write. But I stayed silent and pen free choosing to lose myself in the wonder of this earth locked heaven.
Essex, as you know, gets a lot of bad stick but if the knockers and snobs saw what I saw and tasted today they'd be banging along the pheasant lined roads in raptures.
This delightful joint is called The Plough and Sail. (Link to it in my fav sites list)
I plumped for a mushroom and brie starter with caramelised onion served with leafy salad and buttered bread.
Lunch proper took my breath away.
My white plate held a wedge of utterly gorgeous asparagus and brie flan (yes brie again) proper deep fried chips cut thickly and cooked to perfection, a crunchy creamy coleslaw, another leafy salad interweaved with slices of juicy tomato and fresh and wet cu. Peppery watercress added more joy. By the way the pastry was cooked to perfection. I checked underneath.
I was away with the gastronomic fairies.
Half a shandy too.
Did I want to see the dessert board said the charming chatty waitress...
It was BIG. The list was a pud lovers porn I mean all tastes were catered for...
Banoffee Pie, many ice creams, strawberry pavlovas, crumbles, tarts, flans, upside down puddings, rum trifles, chocolate everywhere, cointreau bread and butter pudding and Jamie's very own Lemon Curd Cheesecake...the list went on and on and on.
Being a stickler for rib sticking food I opted for something I shouldn't have opted for...namely Syrup Pudding and custard.
Whoever the chef was knew a thing about dressing a plate because unlike other establishments where I've eaten English puddings, this chef made the Pudding the Star, a great light as air golden wedge lay on its side surrounded not by ladlefuls of nuclear yellow custard but by a simple pool of rich tasting real custard which heightened the near orgasmic pleasure of the sublime pudding.
I couldn't eat it because..... I kept looking at it. But sense, hunger and greed prevailed and I sunk my spoon in...
Outside was even more thrilling.
An huge aviary with yellow orange and speckled birds all happily dipping their beaks into plentiful supplies of raw broccoli, my friend and I stood stock still gawping like a couple of goldfish at the sight and sound of these captive birds. I love birds and wished for a moment that I could break down the net so they could come and live with me but I was sure they were well looked after.
Not wishing to spoil the reverie with animal welfare worries I ditched my friend in order to slide down the slide and swing on the swings... He eventually caught me up of course and pushed me higher and higher on the swings then soothed my bum after I'd landed poorly after my slide ride.I felt nothing of course... other than the wind on my cheeks.
:)
5 comments:
Lucky friend to have opportunity to smoth your bum!I like many of your followers are envious.
Bet you are glad you went out yesterday and not today.
Enough Parky enough!
Can't tell you how wonderful that food sounded after the 'is this tea or is this coffee?' of my last week's gastronomical forays. Remind me to tell you next time that my dad worked in football all his life which is why we ended up in Lytham St Annes near the Football League HQ. Also the facility to 'follow me' on my blog seems to have disappeared and I wondered if you could see if still it works for you. People can become 'members' but I gather that's not the same thing.If you're lucky - you might have heard the last of me..:) Keep on blogging...
How glad I am to read your enjoyment. It was rather good wasn't it xx
The Man From The Met (aka Blue)
Rather good?
It was most invigorating.
Thanks Guv
xx
Post a Comment