Saturday, 1 December 2012

Is it the Christmas lights I saw late last night on the drive to the station that finally put sparkles into my life or is it something more? Like Love?
A little of both.

After mum's release from hospital we made a deal that from now on she'd do the decent thing and let me go to bed early and in return I'd do everything for her. We've done the deal because we love each other and because we love each other we have to compromise.
And so this morning as we drunk tea together we touched hands in a 'knowing' way.
I know this might be her last Christmas, she knows too. She's also well aware that life is sometimes awful  for me/her what with pills and mess and eating less so she advised me this morning to do everything I want. Cooking. Entertaining. I agreed because if I continue to neglect my hobbies I'll go bonkers. My god-like friend Mr Hairy Suit said he couldn't remember the last time I'd made a loaf of bread. "Neither can I" I said as we sat in my kitchen with it's eclectic mix of styles. Eclectic? Maybe a kind way of saying I can't decide about anything. At any rate I can't remember when I last pounded some dough.

Today I'll lose self by making Nusskuchen, a foreign cake made with hazelnuts, apples, coffee and chocolate. And after our tea of sweet and sour chicken I'll serve thin slices of Nusskuchen on blue plates with whipped cream on the side.



I'll also bake some bread:)


Can't wait to see The X Factor...
Can't wait to watch some Snooker...
Can't wait to bake.





4 comments:

Linda Metcalf said...

Sounds like a good day ahead...something so comforting about baking,

The Hairy Suit said...

Go Gloria go, bake like your life depends on it, because in an uncertain world we need some normality to cling to, something that makes us smile each day, and I know how your kitchen antics make you smile :-) he he

Gloria Horsehound said...

So right Linda, so right. Baking is therapeutic. And then you eat the results!

Gloria Horsehound said...

I've certainly baked today Hairy, a corker of a cake, a macaroni cheese for mum and some kind of Chinese style chicken dish...

:)