Sunday, 4 October 2009

Grand Simple Chairs

Must just have a word before I have a lie down.

I have four second-hand oak dining chairs.
Thanks to two men.
One, my very good friend, Mr Sweetie and two, my rather rushed husband who went to pick them up. This morning. Early.

They're in good condition, (that's the chairs, not the men) and were handmade by a furniture maker. And it shows. Their heaviness is a joy likewise their silk- like smoothness. Can wood be described as silk like and smooth? At any rate they're a delight to touch. In fact, I keep running my fingers along the back of the chairs wondering how many backs have rested against them.

They're standing around my very old kitchen table, which used to belong to my gran, and I have to say that although the table and chairs don't match, the chairs have added a bit of class to my stained, chipped and mismatched kitchen.
I like them very much.
So much so that I've opened up the table leaves to accommodate the four chairs, I thought that having just two looking at each other would be such a waste, so out came the leaves.

All I need now are more people.
And they will be coming next Sunday.
For lunch, dinner or whatever you want to call it.

Henry my employer and Walter his lodger have said yes to my invitation and so now menu wheels are spinning out of control in my giddy old head.
I know what Henry likes but he likes it to be in small portions. Ok, makes it easier and less costly for me. And I'll even give him one of my smaller plates.
I've asked Walter about his likes and dislikes and does he have any allergies. He said he eats anything and everything and has no allergies. He will have a bigger plate.
He is my kind of lad.


Now I must have a little kippette.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Full house? Of course you will be setting a menu to rival a king's table. What's up for a main course?
Jerry from the West Coast

Gloria Horsehound said...

Unsure about the menu. Beef is possible but it'll need to be big!