Monday, 16 May 2011

A bit of my day

....After a lightening cheapo burger I set about busting up a couple of old dining chairs, in the bin they went.

Then a quick move around of various plant pots...basil, parsley, tomatoes. Basil you know is known as the King of Herbs and I can see and taste why. A brilliant little fellow, smooth glossy and, when held to your nose, fills them nostrils with a warm spicy fragrance. Yum. Parsley is a silly old herb, but perfect in a bouquet garni or for a decorative topping on stuff. I like it chopped and added to garlic bread. I put parsley either dried or fresh in everything I cook.
Tomatoes are my favourite fruit, lovely raw, grilled with olive oil or wedged and fried and served alongside scrambled egg and a workman's sausage. By the way I love fried bread...

Just before 3 this afternoon I stared lovingly at a freshly ripe shining strawberry, fat it was. I looked as if I'd never seen one before. So thrilled with the plump berry. I may take this first fruit to London this week...
Must get a few more. Plants that is. Possible detour to Homebase tomorrow...

After a while the jumper I was wearing began to give me the pip so off it came.

I've decided that for Mum's birthday (coming soon) I'll be making mini Madeleines baked in mini Brioche tins of which I have six.
They'll be fiddly to make but given enough time and tea I should do a reasonable job.

Other culinary news....
I'm excited about a few new recipes. A cheese one, basically a Cheddar/Gruyere flan with extra goodies, a bacon one, basically a chicken casserole with wine, chopped rashers and mushrooms and a chocolate fudgey one, basically a rich tray bake with choc icing and snipped soft fudge.

The Lemon Meringue pie I made a couple of days ago was lovely, a bitterly lemony treat with just enough sweet meringue to save the day and tongue.
The big Bakewell Tart was gorgeous, although the pastry underbelly was a tad undercooked.

Sunday lunch was queer in so far as I had beef but not a roast. I opened a tin of Corned Beef and served Yorkies, veg and ketchup with it.
For pud the remnants of the aforemetioned Lemon Pie.

Back to gardening: A while ago I was given a large Pot Chrysanthemum and, I'm pleased to say, it's still flowering. It stands not on a shiny surface in the front room but on a stained bleached and battered pine table in the back garden under the Japanese Maple.

Now I must get back to being outside...:)

1 comment:

Terry said...

The imagination runs wild with the thought of you without your jumper!What will the neighbours think/see next!