.............Late start to the 'rest day' but already have a lovely piece of silverside braising and a 2lb Malt Loaf baking.
The loaf is something I've been aching to make for a very long time and I can't wait to see and taste it. According to Mary Berry and other more ordinary baking people one should wait two days before slicing, if that happens in the HoHo household I'll be very surprised. There are, as one can imagine, shed loads of recipes for the sticky tea time treat but the one I've plumped for is from the BBC Good Food website. I have of course trawled through many other recipe sites and even my own vast recipe collection but the BBC one tickles me fancy the most.
So earlier today, before I'd even downed a cuppa I had sultanas soaking in hot black tea and Malt Extract. How excellent it looked in the Mason Cash bowl. So dark, brooding and rich looking. if it had been a man I'd have jumped it:)
Anyway I left it to soak while I prepared, what will be, a very late lunch.
Seared the beef then put it in my biggest casserole on top of quartered onion and sliced carrot, seasoned... then stocked it with a pint of hot oxo. Lid on and in.
As mum was talkative this morning I was late in getting the papers but after filling her up with drugs, weetabix and unsweetened tea I strolled unwashed to Mr Chakarakabangdums wherein I failed in my attempt to buy JUST the papers picking up on my way to the till (manned by a sour faced female) a bottle of sweet chilli sauce and jar of diabetic raspberry jelly.(reduced in price)
How the sun bleached and blazed on my slow trek home, so stunning was the brightness I slowed to snail pace.......I relished the breeze and gentle nod to the old man and his white dog who stood by the pillar box I, and them, it seemed, were in no hurry to get back. In fact I felt so overcome with love of freedom that if I'd have had the nerve I'd have whistled a happy tune and gone for a walk but I couldn't of course, which is depressing but at the same time character building because adventures postponed make future adventures sweeter. I went home.
Home to Monty sunning himself on the settee and mum slumped in bed like a plastic doll with its neck broken. I dropped the papers on her lap promising I'd wash her hair at noon and sit with her while it dried. We do deals like that, mum and me good self, because we have to, otherwise she would get depressed and I would sink with guilt.
The aromas coming from the kitchen are heaven scent.......
Now I must fly:)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Sunday, 14 October 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment