Today into my enormous blue one I put flour, cinnamon, mixed spice and ginger...Then soft margarine, golden syrup, egg, milk and sugar..beat it well then, with grubby wooden spoon in sink, I scattered lots of slivered almonds into a greased fluted bun tin...
Mix made...And onto the almonds it fell in gentle loving spoonfuls.
When baked these funny little upside down delicacies are called Coburg Buns. Gorgeous with a cup of tea but wickedly good dipped into coffee.
The Baking Bug has really got me, got me so bad that I'm either baking or reading about baking or talking about baking and if I'm not do any of those I'm looking at three tiered cake plates loaded with bakedness.
Mother thinks I overdo it. I don't. I love it..one can overdo love. Baking and feeding people makes me happy and I need all the happy I can lay my floured mitts on:)
Cooking today will be Cumberland sausages with mash and Mary Berry's onion gravy. For veg... steamed cauliflower and tinned peas.
Pud will be Chocolate Castle Puddings and yoghurt.
Talking of tartness I found an old cook book at mum's...Elizabeth Craig's Simple Cooking published 1934:(
Brains, calves feet and cakes....Miss Craig....."It's no good telling me that you can't afford to be a good cook. You can't afford not to be one. The less money you have to spend the more you should know about cooking. If I had my way I'd teach every girl to make the most of every scrap of food. It's nonsense to say a good cook is born, not made"
Wednesday, 24 October 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment