As I drifted around Sainsburys trying to avoid nasty old people, buggy pushers, workmen in flourescent jackets and chattering middle-aged women with silent husbands in tow my mind wandered off to sweeter things. Things like lipstick, poetry, blonde hair and erotic underwear propped up my sanity as they always always do. And when I got to the checkout I knew that within a few minutes I'd be off and away driving in whatever direction home is, and into the loving needle- sharp paws of Monty. It was going well. Until, coming up behind me, was a man clearly unwell. His loud voice spoke about queues, cider, the woman in the fish shop, insomnia and his Bi-Polar and after five minutes of this the comatose queuing customers just wanted out.
His choice of dress didn't help him make friends, head to toe in black, even his eyes being shielded by sunglasses. He sported a crucifix and his spiked dog collar had nothing to do with being a vicar. But he was articulate and clean, and I dare say a decent enough bloke, but to the average Joe he was a nuisance and a nutter. I shot a prayer up hoping he wouldn't corner me because I was tired and wanted to get home, unfortunately my prayer went unheard so as I packed my bags he asked loudly if I knew what Bi-Polar was, I said Yes, he laughed and in a booming voice said "I've met my new wife". The cashiers head couldn't get any lower, her eyes carefully avoiding the man in black and my own so I handed over my money and left.
I left him with his illness and as I walked away wondered how many of the bitching nasty tutting shit-scared customers had any idea of the hell he was in.
Tuesday, 24 March 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
You should see the state of some of the customers in tescos :-)
Thank you Anoymous.
The only Tesco I visit is the one in London when I visit Mum and Dad. Krispy Kreme doughnuts are in a chilled cabinet by the newspapers. I don't but a paper, only the doughnuts.
My favourite being the custard one.
When I first started reading your post, I was nervous for you. But I should've known the Queen handled this situation perfectly. Not too many people would actually look someone with his condition in the eye and acknowledge him. Mental illness is so misunderstood.
Ahhhh, I'm enjoying a STIFF gin and tonic because I believe in liquid sanity.
It seems every time I try to do something right or to help somebody I just get into trouble.
Ahhh, good gin is good. Bad gin is still gin.
Tonight's menu......leftover chili because I have a house full of teenage boys :) (and more gin because I have a house full of teenage boys)
Your Duchess with a drink
Thanks Duch.
And gin or no gin you can do no wrong in my eyes.
Your Queen with a cuppa
Post a Comment