
Carrying on from yesterday's juicy post here's some more foodie related stuff.
I am growing accustomed to Leeks. Not the poncy extra-trimmed, washed, packaged ones but real ones, real ones which lay haphazard in the box, loose and dirty. I like food to excite me and untidy veg does it for me. I also get a lot of pleasure from scrubbing, because there's no better feeling than cleaning out a leek. Getting right in between the layers inching out every speck of dirt splashing water all over them and them slicing them smiling, I like that enormously. But I digress slightly, leeks are becoming a favourite on account of their many uses, for example, one was popped in a chicken casserole yesterday and very good it was too. I have three other leeks. One will go into a beef casserole and the other, well, I'll have to ponder that...
Last nights chicken casserole was so gorgeous I didn't want it to end.
The chicken thighs were braised in cooking wine and the sauce was thickened by the addition of a handful of lemon and parsley stuffing (from a packet). Simple enough, no surprises or wowees, but, and here's the queer part, a spoonful of apricot jam is included. Don't get in a flap over it, it's all perfectly natural and perfect. Jam and chicken? Queer but great!
Now accompaniments.
Usually I do mashed potatoes, but I couldn't be bothered so I cooked 8oz of Couscous to which I added butter, pepper and salt. It was sublime. The redded chicken looked fabulous resting on a couscous mound and for once I had seconds! If you haven't tried couscous, try it, your life will be made happier by it.
That was yesterday, today I'm making Nasi Goreng, an Indonesian dish, although if a pukka Indonesian chap tasted my version he'd hit me because I'm sure it bears no resemblance to an authentic Goreng, but we like it, and I have my favourite cook to thank for introducing it to me, the lovely everlasting Mary Berry.
More about her some other time...
Now I must dash to a rather late brekkie. And I'm ditching the porridge in favour of Weetabix. I wonder if it'll affect me?
5 comments:
Yes I enjoyed yesterday's post too. It's lambs liver we eat - Mrs NOF tells me calves liver is too expensive. Additions to yesterday's list of happy food are :-
Strawberry cheesecake
Rice pudding
Sausage casserole
scampi
We had chicken casserole last night too. Wasn't as nice as yours sounds though!!!
No contest between porridge and Weetabix - porridge lasts much longer.
Your description of preparing leeks was quite poetic!!!
Thank you Nof.
Mrs Nof is quite right about the calves liver, tell her never ever to buy pig's liver...
I see you're a sucker for cheesecake, us too, I have many recipes for them if Mrs Nof is interested.
Sausage casserole now you've opened an can of worms, I make an apple and sausage casserole which although tasty can be a bit boring...
Can you believe I have never tried Scampi, heard loads of good reports about it but I'm still a salmon, cod and cockles girl!
My culinary descriptions are undoubtedly poetic I think sometimes even bordering on erotic.
OK?
Well I was going to say erotic but settled on poetic. Let's say your
culinary descriptions are both!!!
Shepherds pie tonight when Mrs
NOF comes back from belly dancing lessons.
Good gravy, Glo!!! You've never had scampi??? A culinary Brit such as yourself, it's blown me away.
Speaking of blowing...the Duke blew me away tonight. We were watching Idol and while the commercials were on I told him about a phone call I got. My very good friend, the politician, called and wanted to know if we would be interested in seeing Riverdance at the Fox theater in Detroit. (If you get a chance, google the theater, it is insanely ornate). Anyway, I told her I've already been to see it two years ago and there was no way in hell the Duke would sit through something like that. The Duke agreed saying he would never go see Riverdance. I said to him I figured he wouldn't even see a musical. So what blew me away was that he said, "Oh, I'd go see South Pacific." My jaw hit the floor and I looked at him like he was an alien. I've known this man for 25 years and he is the type that wouldn't be caught dead in a theater. And why specifically South Pacific? So I played with this one. I asked what about "My Fair Lady"? No. What about "Bye, Bye Birdie"? No. What about "Grease"? It depends on who's in it.?????? WTF?? This is the same man that will watch adult animation! (cartoons for grown-ups)
Just goes to show you that you never really know somebody completely.
Oh, I like leeks. :)
Duch, grab the Duke and get Greased up.
And you're right you CAN live with someone for 25 years and not REALLY know them. I thought John was a quiet lad but nooooo! Now he's a comedy genius.....
Have fun today with the Duke and a leek.
Your Scampi Free Queen
Post a Comment