


Meatballs.
Had a few last night and very good and friendly they were too. I've always wondered what makes certain foods 'friendly'. Has it something to do with childhood memories? Is my fascination with Spotted Dick all down to spending my formative years in steamy London cafes? Yes to both. But Meatballs where do they figure in Glo's past? Because never ever did my mum, gran or indeed anyone dish up a plate of meatballs. The nearest I got to queer gear was eating some sort of Goulash/stew made by the mother of my school friend, Marina Mihilovich. I remember the table sported a red velvet cloth and the Goulash tasted fab. After all I was a kid whose only foray into exotic cuisine was an Arctic Roll.
But back to my main point what makes food friendly? It can't all be down to distant sticky kiddie memories there must be another reason. And I think I know what it is. Food must be happy. Here's a list of my Happy Food.
1. Jam Puddings. First had these at about five years old drowning in cafe custard. That's the pud not me.
2. Chocolate Cake. The doyen of cakes. Men like big ones I've noticed.
3. Toad-in-the-hole. Bangers for birds as well as blokes. But must use decent snorkers.
4. Roast dinners. Life would be unthinkable without these.
5. Messy Rice dishes like Nasi Goreng where fried pork, veg, soy sauce, omelette and chopped tomato all get twirled around in my biggest gayest bowl. That is joyous.
6. Curries of course. Home made, yes but restaurant ones are good too because not only do you get a choccie and damp towel at the end but you get to scorch your hand on the burner too!
7. Chinese. At the weekend if money allows. Munching on Chow Mein and Crispy Shredded Beef whilst watching a violent film.
8. Steak with steak and more steak. It is my one indulgence. But what makes steak even better is having a tiny piece measuring approx. 4x2 with a fried egg and tomato ketchup whilst listening to the news. Heaven.
9. Bagels. Yes I've taken to them in a big way. Toasted with butter and raspberry jam. They are the kings of the dough world.
10. Bananas, cucumbers and steak pies. Not at the same time. I secrete a banana about my person when out and about, I worship cucumbers because they're innocent, make a decent curry accompaniment and are almost calorie free. They also serve to amuse. Steak pies are magical, magnificent and majestic, especially with chips.
So that is my list of happy food. What makes YOU happy?
4 comments:
Happy Food would be :-
1. Lemon Meringue Pie
2. Baked Jam Roll with custard made from evaporated milk
3. Apple Pie and vanilla ice cream
4. Chocolate Sponge Pudding
5. Rhubarb and Orange crumble
6. Fresh Fruit Salad and cream
I am having a nice time Gloria!!!
7. Chicken Tikka Bhuna
8. Steak and Kidney Pie
9. Steak and Chips
10. Corned Beef Hash
11. Prawns in Garlic
12. Liver and Bacon
I love this post. :)
Happy food, ummmmm, let's see:
Roast beef dinner on a cold autumn day.
A nice egg casserole on Christmas morning.
Noodles, noodles and more noodles of any kind and in any dish or by themselves.
Bagels with butter and cream cheese.
Nice crispy salad with a BLT sandwich whilst sitting on the porch with some iced tea.
Fried chicken, mashed potatoes and milk gravy with friends and family.
And one of my favorites that I haven't had in 20 years....a good cheese steak from New Jersey.
Your Duchess who has cheese, crackers and tuna salad for lunch.
Thanks Nof, thanks Duch.
So Nof likes liver, me too. Lambs liver or calves? Me? Lambs.
Evaporated milk is good with tinned fruit or put in a rice pudding, don't forget to dilute it though!
Now Duch. I love food posts too. What is an Egg casserole? And what is a Cheese steak? Explain slowly because I'm British!
For my lunch I had tomato soup, bread and a strawberry yoghurt. Tonight Chicken casserole.
Thanks guys for taking the time to comment, it's very much appreciated.
Your cooking Queen
Ok, Queenie,
Egg casserole is made with eggs, milk, cheese bread and any kind of breakfast meat like bacon, sausage, or ham then mixed all together and baked in a baking dish. I'll send you the recipe :)
Cheese steak from New Jersey, ahhhh it is made from thinly sliced steak grilled with onions and possibly bell peppers if you like them and then topped with a tomato sauce of some kind that is really sweet and melted cheese all tucked into a hoagie roll or sub bun, whatever you call it.
I like liver, too but only once every great while.
D
Post a Comment