Friday, 8 January 2010

With The Snow Comes Silence

I noticed that as I waltzed with my car this morning, I was dancing alone. Admittedly it's a short journey to the castle but nevertheless I thought I'd at least see a trussed up elderly gentlemen dragging his dog. But no, I saw nothing. No children, no mums, not even the postman. The distance between my bungalow and Henry's castle was bleaktown. Totally free of people and cars, in fact it was like someone had taken a Winter nature photo and superimposed it onto the roads and streets. Frost covered houses, distraught overflowing bins, green gardens turned into wonderlands for the out-of-sight birds, patches of black where a car had been parked, and nothing but frozen white immaculate pavements with very few footprints.
The snow had indeed left its almighty mark and silenced everything except for the crunchy crunch of crazed wheels on black ice.

I arrived a touch earlier than usual on account of me wanting to get away a touch earlier. Well that didn't work out at all!
After first looking for the cats I proceeded to make some sausagemeat pasta, put 24 tins of Felix away, and chat with Henry...He wants me to rifle through boxes looking for some of his son's documents. Ok, but the boxes are in the garage which is down the road by the school. I'd do it I said, for a price. We agreed on the pittance and the boxes will be seen to some time in the future. Meanwhile will I put his daughter's clothes in boxes. Oh yes and for free. The fact she'll be out of the way is payment enough. What is it about this family and boxes?
I rather like the idea of the house being a daughter-free zone, it's one less room to do and one less person to agitate the cats. Yes, her clothes will be attended to on Monday.

Blackie and Ging made several appearances during the course of the morning, even jumping up onto the kitchen table when Henry and I were chatting about: Loyalty, money and diseases. They've come a long way since I first made their acquaintance, no more do they diss their master instead they're into violently rubbing themselves up against his legs and chest. And the master is well pleased with their progress. He asked me to put the pink collar back onto Ging and with a tut I did. She was, I'm pleased to report, ok about it, so I was relieved. I had a little treat up my sleave for them today, after preparing Henry and Walt's dinner I called out like an idiot asking Blackie and Ging if they'd like a tin of toony woony.
They licked and scoffed the gold rimmed plate clean, tuna will now be their three times a week treat...

After several pots of tea Henry said he'd love a bacon and broken egg sandwich, so one was made and drooled over. I too had a sandwich, but I plumped for a BLT. By this time I was ready to come home so I squeezed and kissed the cats whispering into their tiny ears that they were to do whatever they wanted never mind about Henry. Ging then fell to the ground and whacked a hanging pink feathered toy whilst Blackie's eyes remained half- closed as I slobbered over his head like a sad old woman who has finally lost her ancient marbles.

Driving home I saw no-one.
The steering wheel going one way and the wheels having other ideas. Horrible. But with the danger came an unearthly silence that only snow brings...




Tonight I'll be cooking a beef cobbler.
Simple food, perfect for a Winter's night.
I might have a drop of brandy in my coffee too!

No comments: