Friday, 13 August 2010

Two Hours and Twenty Minutes...

I stepped out of my car and whoooosh heaven's doors opened. The rain it dith pour down.
Not needing to worry about my hair I dawdled to the first charity shop, then after buying a large Willow Pattern tea pot and three books I splashed to the next.

On my way I noticed, rather sadly, that two of the oldest shops in Spa road were now empty, their windows whitewashed and their insides ripped out and soulless. 'Tis a very sad day when a butchers shop and greengrocer shop die.
Bought many a chicken and punnet of strawberries therein.

Blasted Somerfields/Co-Op is still there though, clawing in money from locals with their rag bag of 'special offers' and 'bogoffs' people don't want 'offers' they want familiarity and a word with the big man wearing the apron.

After the shock of seeing the vacant shops I went into my second charity shop, which I'm pleased to say showed no sign of packing up.

In there were the usual size 6 shoes, garish toys, awful polyestered paintings and size 16 pink cardis but, balancing very dangerously on a box of blankets, was the most gorgeous bolster type cushion. 'Wow' I mouthed in my mind!
Me like that.

And so it came to pass that after handing over £2:50 to the quaintest prettiest of elderly ladies I left the busy shop to head home.
The rain had almost stopped but just enough was still falling to warrant a good-for-my-heart march back to the car park.
And that's the bit I love best.
Coming home after digging through the boxes and shoving stuff around the shelves in a charity shop.

I love the feeling of satisfaction when, after spending a small amount of money, I feel as if I'd just stumbled over a treasure chest...

Today's Gems:

~Large Willow Pattern Tea Pot

~Victoriana style Bolster type Cushion

~Dr D.G. Hessayon's 'Be Your Own Gardening Expert' 2nd edition marked 2/6

~Good Housekeeping recipe book

~Another gardening book which tells me I can have a good looking garden just by doing twenty minutes a day.

~The Penguin guide to Plain English. 'Express yourself clearly and effectively'.



The rain stopped as I slammed the boot shut...

No comments: