Thursday, 15 March 2012

Dogs and Roses


Evelyn Fison


Red Robin


Twice in a Blue Moon

Mum kept her promise and so off we went, first to the garden centre in lovely Brays Lane then to the charity shop beside the tattoo parlour.

Four Acres garden centre is a funny place on account of its out-of-the-way position, you'd only come across it by chance I'm sure. Maybe taking a wrong turn or something like that. Anyway....
A not too safe looking white framed structure with dingy glass and two on-site faded blue caravans with an old fashioned red telephone box sandwiched inbetween.

Inside row upon row of wooden tables loaded with plants of all colours and descriptions, some even affordable.
After the customary nod to the fair haired man manning no till, yes that's right, no till, no cash register... I strolled about looking for fair pretty things which will brighten my frontage and enliven and make interesting my back patch.
The names were many most in Latin, but being of a simple persuasion I plumped for two rose plants...And one other shrub. I understood the labels.

*Evelyn Fison. Floribunda Rose. Large Scarlet flowers.
*Twice in a Blue Moon. Hybrid Tea Rose. Highly scented lilac/silver flowers.
*Photinia Red Robin. An Evergreen. Famed for its spectacular red foliage.

As I strolled I was being followed by a big black dog with a streak of tan brown running down his neck. He was thick and slow and had 'kiss me' all over his face. I didn't. Instead I smiled and tapped his skull talking to him about how handsome he was. He knew that of course. In fact I could see by the way he relaxed under my touch that he was quite ok, quite blase.
Handsome Boy.

The cost was fair enough and then the man with no till helped me to the car where Mother sat staring at the yellow and green fields next door.
"Mind the thorns "he said
"Yes I will thank you"
And with a wave and honk I drove away leaving the dog and the man and plants I can't pronounce.

To the charity shop where I was mum's personal shopper. She sat amongst the ladies who do knitting, they sell their bits and pieces for charity you see and so as I attacked the shelves and rails mum listened as their needles rattled...

She ended up with two slinky nightgowns, a slinky dressing gown, a can of hair spray and a brown cotton floral blouse,
For me? Three tiny terracotta cats, a pair of silver earrings and a fine garden trowel.

A bit of banter with Joan about nightwear, baby oil and the awesome power of the woman over fifty.
I left laughing.

Back home and mum on the bed exhausted but pleased. I made her a quick scone pizza the sat on the back step looking at the plants.
Felt like Christmas!

Tonight I'm making liver and bacon and watching Manchester Utd v. Athletic Bilbao.
:)

Cheerio

No comments: