Thursday, 6 November 2008

Pablo



This charming fellow was bought last week.
He was showing-off on a shelf alongside a large white mixing bowl, a wicker basket and a cracked vase, all these things are usually fair game for me but with them being on sale in a charity shop in London's posh Queensway they naturally bore London prices, so I could only buy one.
I chose 'Pablo'. He now poses on top of a bookcase (the one I've been shoving around a lot) I just hope he settles in nicely.

I've been collecting this sort of paraphernalia since I was 17 or so, started when me and mum found a 'Shelter' charity shop in the aforementioned Queensway in 1973. I was an innocent poor pale faced teenager (I know it's hard to believe I was pale faced) anyway I needed to be dressed correctly for lounging about in the college canteen so when I came across this shop I thought I'd hit the jackpot.

The very first thing I bought were a pair of banana yellow clogs for 20p. And that's when 20p meant something. Other stuff acquired were a pair of purple starry trousers, a glittery halter-neck top and a small mans sheepskin jacket (£1). By the way whoever decided to throw that jacket out must have been bonkers because I wore it for about five years, it went a bit smooth round the cuffs but it was still lovely.

A lot of water has passed under the proverbial since then but I still can't think of a better way to spend both my time and money. Love it, love it, love it.
Something else I love is today's Art Quote.

On my to-do list is...
Visit the charity shop down the road then go to Somerfield because I forgot to buy Stewing Beef yesterday in dopey Sainsburys. Daft me
Make a dozen Rock Cakes
Sit up straight on account of my aching back. On the left side.
Wash my dirty brown feet. You should see the mud on the sheets. Disgraceful.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm in love with Pablo. He looks like a high-heeled shoe almost. I adore his colors....he would fit in well in my kitchen :)

I love second-hand shops. "What is one man's trash is another man's treasure". I don't know who said that, but they spot on wouldn't you say?

Things to do today:
Open the windows...it's glorious outside.
Clean, clean, clean. I have company coming for the weekend. Well not really company, FAMILY! All 8 of my siblings are getting together for an early Thanksgiving meal at my Parent's house and a few will be popping in and out of my house. Also the in-laws are stopping by Friday for dinner since they will be leaving for Arizona next week to spend their winter in a warmer climate.

Oh, you've just popped in!

Duch

Gloria Horsehound said...

Yes I've just popped in and now I'm just popping out! Talk later

Anonymous said...

I love pablo too...........

Gloria Horsehound said...

Thanks Minx. I hope you come back soon...