Thursday, 27 November 2008

Old Fashioned In Every Way

The good thing about the year drawing to an end is the food I cook to ward off the blues of the golden season!
I've been on one of my favourite sites 'Retro Food Recipes' (see my list of favourite sites below somewhere) and it's made me want to do all things creatively culinary!
I know Chicken Kiev is naff, likewise Beef Strogonoff and Lancashire Hot Pot but these dishes are so perfect in every way that I must make them immediately. I've made Chicken Kiev many times of course and it never fails to please, especially when the first puddle of hot garlic butter oozes out. I'm getting quite excited.

Reading 'Retro Food Recipes' has certainly got my juices flowing but it's not only the grub, it's finding out that my beloved Mary Berry wrote a book in 1977 called 'Day by Day Cooking'. I'm in a flap over this because I thought I knew all the books Mrs Berry had written. I've got some of them but this one is new to me. Gotta get it.

Some time soon I'll post a list of my favourite recipe books, it'll be a hotch potch list because I'm a hotch potch kind of cook.

Got womanly things to do today.
These womanly things consisting of:
Deciding which skirt to wear. Running the car engine for five minutes because I don't want to stall at the mini-roundabout again. Talking to pigeons. Packing a banana in my handbag in case I go a bit funny on the train.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Speaking of recipes, I received a wonderful book to the top 100 British foods for my birthday and decided one evening to tryout a recipe.

It was scary because I had invited another family over for dinner with a dish I've never made. An experiment is never good with company. However, it came out spendidly and not one morsel was left.

Guess what it was? Sheperd's Pie! The Duke and the little ones loved it as did the company. I made it all in one cast iron skillet and even baked it in the same skillet.

What should I try next? Toad in the hole or Bubble and Squeak? Or maybe hotpot....that looked good. Oh, remember I told you about the British section at the store, well I've remembered another thing for sale: Ribena! I'll have to try some of these exotic things and let you know what I think. ;)

Got to dash, today is Thanksgiving and I've got to put on my stretch pants so I can eat turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes and gravy and lots and lots of pie. Got some good wine to go with dinner, too. :)

Your soon to be fat Duchess

Gloria Horsehound said...

Happy Thanksgiving Duchess.

Definitely Toad in the Hole! Hot Pot will be a winner too, especially with it being the 'Fall' over there. Perfect chilly weather fare!
And you must try Ribena too, it not only tastes great it's good for you too!
I had a traditional British meal last night...Curry! Went out to a restaurant instead of making one myself, it felt soooo good being waited on.

Enjoy your day Duch and DO drink lots of wine with your mashed potatoes. You'll feel fab.
Now I have a Port, just to keep out the cold you understand.

Your Portly Queen!

Anonymous said...

But your glass equates t several large ones!

Gloria Horsehound said...

Oh do behave Terry!
You know I only have a tipple to keep out the cold.