Thursday, 31 December 2009

I Took A Man. Nearly Into A Ditch.

This is my favourite drinking parlour, The Punchbowl, not being a frequent patron I tend to make the most of the occasional visit. It has an olde worlde atmosphere complete with open fire, china plates, open beams and horse brasses. It is my kind of dive. Sometimes piped music is played but seeing as it's old stuff I really don't mind. I have always enjoyed the food, not once having cause for complaint. The portions are man-sized but I manage. Outside you are surrounded by the iced stillness of vast acres of green Essex land, it is quite simply, beautiful.

Here I am in jiggling in pink and black baubles about to take Mr H. on his surprise pub lunch. He had no idea of what was to come, but he wasn't disappointed in any way. Being a lady, I bunged some flat shoes in me handbag on account of not being able to drive in heels. We set off a little early because I feared we'd not get a table. I needn't have worried because the only people there were two old girls rattling on about conservatories. I think they'd had a few.

Dressed suitably for lunch at my most favourite pub on earth. The Punchbowl at Church End, Pagelsham. We eventually arrived after me taking a wrong turning and ending up on someone's drive. The aforementioned drive led to a very large farmhouse which had cctv so I may end up on Crimewatch! You'll be pleased to hear that I managed to escape via a very knobbly road. Then we found ourselves by some horses, and after witnessing a very pale faced Mr H I realised we were hanging over a ditch. But fear not, my driving lessons were money well spent and I extricated myself and motor with consummate ease. We drove on...

And after the liver, bacon, bubble and squeak, broccoli and carrots came chocolate fudge cake and cream... Being a cake maker of considerable skill I had to take my hat orf to the chap or chapess who made this. It was a stunner. We had it warm and very nice it was too! Coffee was served with a Bendicks mint and a smile. I liked the waiter very much, so much so that I left a tip worth having.

No alcohol was consumed in the making of this blog post. Neither was any booze drunk whilst in the pub, I am a considerate, if crazy lady driver.

Thank you very much for all your support.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The new camera is working well!

Gloria Horsehound said...

Yes it is and I'm having a ball posing!

Thank you Mr Anon.