Wednesday, 23 December 2009

What can I say about cabbage that hasn't already been said?

I like it.

Red, white or green, give me a juicy buttery mound of it and I'm happy.
On Christmas day I'll be serving one of my favourite cabbage dishes; Braised red Cabbage with Apples and Spices.
It doesn't only have to be served on big occasions like Christmas because it goes down well on a dismal Tuesdays with a plate of good bangers and mash.
A Green cabbage like a nice Savoy is super shredded and mixed with bacon and onions. Also makes a smashing Colcannon of which I'm very fond.
White cabbage is essential for coleslaw and popping into anything remotely Chinese.

I despair when I hear youngsters moaning about their greens.
Greens are good.
My grandmother made me drink the water in which she boiled her greens. At the tender age of nine this ghastly lukewarm liquid was almost force fed into me but she said it would be good for my complexion...:)

Sprouts are another excellent green vegetable, but a much maligned little vegetable, they look silly but taste wonderful but only after a hard frost.

I had an easy day at Henry's.
Played mummy to the cats, drank too much tea, chatted nonsense to Henry and Walt and came home early via the fish and chip shop...
I treated myself to a pie.

The queue in Somerfields was hideous. They had to get the manager out on account of all the moaning minnies.
Seems like I chose the wrong day to buy a small chicken I said to the cashier.
Grunt.

Next door in the Off Licence was the most sour faced, miserable looking old witch, I think I've ever seen manning a till. God she was hard. I'd like the smallest bottle of Brandy you have please I said.
Banging it down on the counter she looked at me with such venom that inside I crossed myself a dozen times over.
How much is it I asked
£1.99 she spat
Oh right and dashed down some change in front of her.
It was, as if you didn't know, a miniature. Bought it for the Buche Noel. Hope the boys like it because in buying it I came face to face with the devil...:(

Ran home in the rain (didn't have the car) ate my pie and fell exhausted onto the settee looking up at the sweetest flowers. Oriental Lillies take me to a heavenly place.

No comments: