Wednesday, 26 September 2012

.......Must have been yesterday's exceptionally wet weather that brought forth, on the culinary front, a big dish of minced beef and many dumplings.
Layered with the rich well seasoned mince and stock were chunks of turnip, carrot, onion, swede and celery, I didn't need to add much more, except a few rough dashes of Worcestershire sauce.
I overdid it on the dumpling front making double my usual amount because I simply love them.
Simple boiled potatoes propped up the meat, no need I felt for anything else, although our guest, the ever so resourceful and hungry Hairy Suit piped up that a tin of baked beans wouldn't have gone amiss.
We loved it as did Mother who, for the umpteenth time, insisted that she didn't 'want much' ...She had seconds as did I and Hairy. And  that is why I always make loads:) One taste of my food and meagre appetites turn monstrous.
After such a warming and soul soothing dinner none of us felt much like pudding (!) so just a cup of tea did ok.

Apart from making dinner I baked a large seeded loaf which as I type is already half gone, Mr H making a dent in it with his workplace sandwiches. And, as usual, as it sat on the rack I admired it, not for my baking skills but for how simply beautiful home made bread looks. A still and silent foodstuff shining golden with touches of deep brown where the egg wash has pooled and linseed, poppy and sesame seeds dot the crust haphazardly willy nilly. Oh boy there's nothing quite like it.

But that was yesterday, what about today?
Today....A sausage risotto, lemon meringue pie and, to go with a cup of tea, a moist orange tea bread.

So my dear followers, with all that to do AND the clothes horse to fix I'd better get cracking:)

No comments: