.....I made a Yorkshire Teabread. Not a large one, a small one, each thick slice will be spread with butter and or jam. I like keeping things simple and this old favourite is that. It needs no more than a couple of minutes preparation, a few hours soaking and forty odd minutes of baking (on a low light)
But the real advantage of this moist fruit bread is that it will last a couple of weeks wrapped in greaseproof paper in the cake tin. If left too long though it will go green.
For tonight's tea/dinner I've plumped for a beef dish I used to make when living in London, American Mince it's called. Another simple recipe which is as easy to make for two people as it is twelve. Take some minced beef, the leaner the better, regular mince is fine but will need to be drained because of the higher fat content.
Anyway fry an onion then as the onion begins to brown add the beef stirring it about a bit. When it's lost its redness add a can of tomatoes, a cup of chopped peppers (frozen is fine) and three stalks of celery sliced thickly. Squeeze in two good glopulets of tomato puree. Squiggle around. Stir it. Then pour in about half a pint of beef stock liberally adding pepper and a sprinkling of salt.
Let it braise.
Meanwhile boil some pasta shapes. I used tricolour spirals for colour and chat worthiness. People I find are interested in pasta when it's not spaghetti. Cook, till it's al dente..
Then drain and de-camp into a large ovenproof with the beef mixture. Stir it up till everything is combined. Fully.
(It looks gorgeous at this stage)
Pop into oven for half an hour or so, lidded.
If you're a busy person...
This can be made a day in advance, refrigerated, then re-heated when you need it. It's ideal crowd food as it's economically friendly and doesn't require loads of time or awkward ingredients.
I'll be serving mine with a buttered roll.
Talking of bread....I looked at my knees this afternoon and the left one reminded me of a cottage loaf.
Thursday, 27 September 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
cooking by low light is that a new way of saving energy?
Post a Comment