....Yesterday's Apple and Almond traybake looked and tasted wonderful. Baked slowly and without peeking the Mary Berry cake looked magnificent in the cheapo foil dish. So fab in fact that I kept looking at it. The cake that is, not the tin. Although having said that I did have a silly moment early this morning when, with tea cup in hand I ran the index finger of my other hand along its rim. Marvellous I thought. So cheep and cheery and so very good. I like it. Methinks a major stock up of Factory Shop bakeware is on the cards....
Anyway back tot he bake......Flaked almonds lightly browned topped the moist apple laden sponge, and when, after much cooing and worshiping I made my first cut the sound of cracking nuts nigh on sent me potty. I think this is one of my best bakes.
The tin I used was larger than I would normally use but it certainly came up trumps..Nothing quite pleases the eye than a cake with good depth. Flat cakes don't ring ma bellz.
Today I'm back to savoury....But first my morning with mama was ok in a kind of sick mother/fraying tempered daughter kinda way. First stop Anti-Coag clininc. Laugh? Nearly. The podge stoney faced pharmacist barely managed to conceal her suspicions that either Mother or I am doing the drug thing wrong.
I smiled very wide as I assured her that neither I or the half baked lady in the wheelchair to my right get anything wrong regarding the downing of Warfarin. "Very mystifying" she spat.
"Beats me too" I said my smile still broad.
We left the room again feeling wronged.
Next stop Rochford market where the sun shone and a big man and I bantered as he bagged my celery.
Charity shop..."OOOOhhhh that's lovely" shouted red haired 70+ Margaret on the till as she folded my blue woollen dress. I do wish these old loves would keep their opinions to themselves. Just bag it.
Out again into brilliant sunlight, I like the sun as a celestial orb but it don't half show up one's lines. But I soldiered on and joined the queue outside Gleadell's the Butchers.
I like butcher shops and Gleadells is a fine shop stuffed full of fresh beef, calves liver and rabbit. I plumped for stewing beef, lamb's kidneys and Worcestershire sauce. The chap who served me had a ruddy face and hands like saucepan lids. His hair? Coppery but limited. Manner and general appearance? Sleepy bear.
Lie Of The Day? No mum there aren't any more charity shops nearby...
And so we came home...
Another cup of tea all over the carpet. Another rushed roll.
Tonight's culinary hotchpotch is Sausages and Apricots in a curry sauce.
Tuesday, 18 September 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Your blogs make amazing reading - I really think you should be writing a newspaper column...
All I need is a shot, GG.
And thank you for the huge compliment, coming from a journo means the world to me.
Post a Comment