Sunday, 30 September 2012

Sunday Special £7:95!

.......Cooking today:

Roast Chicken with milk gravy
Green beans, carrots and petit pois
Boiled potatoes in their skins
Sage and onion stuffing
Redcurrant jelly (my fav)

and for pud...Apple and forest fruits crumble with custard

A bottle of wine on the table too. Rose probably.

Really looking forward to all of it, especially the milk gravy, a real comforting moreish addition to the plate. Making it is easy. Lightly fry a finely chopped onion till soft but not brown, then add some flour and stir well, add some cold milk and two chicken oxo cubes and stir till thickened. This isn't of course an authentic recipe as made by our American cousins but it tastes and looks gorgeous all the same. 

The redcurrant jelly adds sweetness........... and a splash of colour always looks good too. 

My crumble is a regular favourite, simple and quick to make and never been known not to please. I like it.
Some puddings will never go out of fashion and this beauty is one of them. I'll have you know I've fooled around with many a crumble, tarting them up with this that and the other but simplicity always win.

Being soaked as I write, another bowl of sultanas waiting to be made into another moist Yorkshire teabread. So essential with essential mid morning cuppas.

Yesterday's poppy seed loaf was divine, is divine, tasting like nothing on earth. All plain ingredients mixed then baked with love and perfect timing resulting in a loaf to please the baking gods.

Now I must fly...:)


1 comment:

Terry said...

Bottle of wine - so you back to boozing again!