It's an English thing. England v Uruguay 8pm kick-off. I can't say any more other than WE HAVE TO WIN.
Again ...
My sweet beef casserole is braising, a kiwi and raspberry cheesecake is resting in the fridge and eighteen small Welshcakes are cooling on the rack. These lightly fruited lightly spiced 2 inch morsels are delicious with a cuppa and I have no idea why they're called Welshcakes.They aren't baked in the oven like normal English cakes they are fried/toasted in a very lightly oiled pan. It takes time but they're worth it. Especially good buttered. A nice decent mouthful that requires no cutting or icing or flapping around with paper cases and bun tins. You must though watch them carefully otherwise they will burn quickly and be horribly raw inside. So patience is the key.
The beef casserole is a Mary Berry recipe which I've tweeked over the years, beef cooked in a spicy garlicky tomato sauce subtly flavoured with apricot jam.I'll serve the beef with rice and garlic and coriander naan bread and fruity chutney.
The cheesecake is jolly good friend, a real standby when I'm at a loss as to what to make for sweet. Biscuit base topped with a cream cheese, Greek yoghurt and double cream mix, tanged and thickened by lemon juice. For colour and interest as well as taste I've plastered sliced kiwis and raspberries all over in a random manner. I'll glaze with melted redcurrant jelly a little later on.
My party food is READY!
This morning, as you can tell, has been busy. I told mum not to buzz me unless she was having a funny turn/breathless or drowning in a spillage. She was quite all morning. Barring of course the usual early morning fiasco of washing dressing and breakfasting.
I got on with the cooking and cleaning in a sane calm manner.
Stopping only to take a call from Andy, the palliative nurse, who was so sorry about having to postpone his visit today. Grr.
I got on with making the party food.
Now I must fly because I'm dipping in a blood sugar level kind of way AND mother is calling for the bedpan.
Come on England...MAKE ME HAPPY BY GIVING ME SOMETHING TO LOOK FORWARD TO.....Quarter Final? Semi Final....FINAL?
Next Saturday against Croatia?
Thursday, 19 June 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment