Monday, 6 July 2009

Saved By The Yanks


I'm in a homely womanly mood so after shedding my work clothes I'll don my pinny and make a blackcurrant jelly for tomorrow This won't be any old blackcurrant jelly but a blackcurrant jelly bursting with real blackcurrants ( was given loads yesterday by a neighbour with a bad eye). She's given me so many blackcurrants that this week is going be a very sweet week indeed. Like I said blackcurrant jelbo for tomorrow, and for today, a blackcurrant crumble and depending on how many there are left I''ll make some ice cream for the weekend.
So thank you 'bad eyed annie'.


With all my work stuff I've been neglecting my one true love, cooking. And by jolly jingo it shows. In many ways.
Once upon a time before the days of the duster I'd happily spend the entire day in the kitchen either reading recipe books, writing lists or concocting wonderfully simple food. But since I've been splitting my time by wandering from one house to another I haven't done as much cooking and that means I haven't been relaxed or really very happy.

To me, my kitchen, be it ever so badly arranged and decorated is where I feel happiest and safest. Shove me in there with the telly on, Monty on a chair and the burners dancing and I can be me.
Cruising down the road to earn some dosh is very commendable but it's ripped the soul out of me and it hurts. So when I kick my work shoes off in my grubby cracked conservatory and look out into the mismanaged garden it feels great.

All this heart felt stuff is because today at Henry's was bad.
Not only was I tired beyond belief (was awake at 5) but the place was in a disgusting state after the weekend and so I bit my lips to stop myself from crying and went about my tasks. As I sorted through his endless laundry I needed help so I put a video on in the kitchen. 'Independence Day' it was and as the good guys flew through the air killing those alien bastards they took me with them......
And so, for an hour or so, my mind was in an American sky and not in an old man's underpants.

Now jelbo...

2 comments:

Clayton Buzzard said...

Wonderful post Gloria!

Gloria Horsehound said...

Thanks Clayton old friend.