Oh my God what a day.
Never thought I'd be so pleased to walk into my chilly room.
My day off was kind of planned, look at a few books, watch a movie and generally chill out, but at nine fifteen this morning Henry phoned from the doctor's car park saying he was unwell and that he had to go to hospital.
After arranging to meet him back at his home I drove down there hoping for the best. He arrived some forty minutes later having decided to drive around town for a little bit. In the meantime frantic calls and texts were being sent and received, some from his youngest daughter, others from his secretary, but Henry being the arse he is left us all in the dark.
So as I talked to the painter who had come to do the bedroom, Henry called saying he was on his way and would I get his things together.
Scrambling about in his wreck of a room proved weary on me so I just grabbed a few obvious bits and pieces and packed them into a hold all. Then Henry turned up looking like hell. I've seen him in many states of unwellness but the way he looked this morning terrified me.
After I prised him off the back of the chair I phoned for a taxi and ten minutes later we were on our way. On the short journey he continually shut his eyes, falling forwards and asking where we were going. I felt sorry for the big man because for a big shot this must heave been humiliating. We got there and as I staggered with his holdall and blasted briefcase nurses and doctors ushered him into the acute ward where he was prodded, pricked and had all kinds of stuff done to him. Henry meanwhile sat with his eyes barely open.
"How did you get here?" he asked after two hours of me sitting with him.
"Taxi, darling" I said
He closed his eyes.
By this time his youngest daughter and son had arrived, it was an emotional time for all concerned.
"Make sure" she said to me "That you tell them the truth"
"The truth?"
"Yes about the drinking, he lies about it"
By now I was feeling a bit exhausted but I stayed till all the nurses and one doctor did their stuff. Then Henry in his own inimitable way told us all to leave.
"Go on bugger off" he said
So we left him waiting to be taken to the Respiratory ward.
I left the hospital to catch the bus lugging his bloody briefcase which I told him he wouldn't be needing for a few days.
Did he listen? Did he hell. But that's Henry for ya.
Thursday, 4 February 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment