Monty has been resting on his picnic basket while his mum makes fishcakes...
And as I mixed the mash and tuna together I wondered what is was about rissoles, patties and other savoury mounds that is so pleasurable.
Yes of course they all taste good, whether they be meaty rissoles made with leftovers or spicy patties popped in a seeded bun, all are moresome and most of all, friendly. I can't eat food which doesn't make me happy, cream crackers are cool and fill a small tum like mine, but to have some street cred they must be cheesily spread or jammed up with Hartleys raspberry. Bare crackers are quite depressing.
I have always had a penchant for fishcakes so this afternoon I've made some.
Here are the ingredients for four fat cakes.
(This recipe has taken years to evolve to this delicious stage, feel free to add or scrub ingredients.)
1x200g tin tuna in brine (drained)
300g mashed potato (add a little butter or your favourite spread)
4 chopped spring onions
a teaspoon of Anchovy essence (optional)
a pinch of ginger (freshly grated is good too)
some chopped parsley (dried is ok, I'm not a snob)
dill (optional)
grated lemon rind
pepper and
a touch of salt
Mix well and with delicate hands and form into four cakes. Dust sparingly with flour and allow to rest. Rest? They haven't exactly done anything but I think the flavours, given a couple of hours in the fridge, tingle on the tongue more.
You can dip in beaten egg and cover with breadcrumbs if you like. I sometimes do that. But not today.
Beefburgers are another huge favourite of mine, I like to poke a little piece of cheese in the middle before frying, it makes for a lovely squelching mess. And squelching is a big part of cooking, if it ooooozes and drips it wins......I love messy eaters, nothing more appealing or appetising than watching as someone wipes their mosited up mouth with one of my kitchen towels. Standing on ceremony is for polite people. Even noises are allowed. Nothing is verboten in my kitchen. Food brings out audibles!
When I cook for someone I want them to enjoy every morsel, manners don't really come into it. Much prefer my guest to ask for more and more than to sit politely trying to make his pickled onion last forever. Much prefer enthusiasm.
Greatest thing I can give someone is food...
And the sweetest thing I can receive is wind:)
Thursday, 30 September 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment