It's that nine o'clock moment when emotions rule my roost...
How can I tell thee about the love I felt today not only for the lovelies but for the cab driver as well.
Me and mum went shopping but I knew right from the start it wasn't going to be easy.
Mum had looked pale when I arrived just before noon and as she smiled at her Swiss Roll she lurched forward with pains in her back. Apparently these pains have been around for a week or two and as usual were brushed away with a silly defiant hand. But she insisted on going out and so out we went.
The weather was beautiful, so near spring, clear sky and sunlight, so we dawdled, but mum was struggling a little so we linked arms and as we walked we talked. Mostly about how important it is so be healthy."Keep your health Ang, it's all that matters.
By this time we'd reached Superdrug and of course we desperately needed more stuff, you know the stuff we already have in our bedrooms and on our bathroom shelves, but we're girls and we do shopping! So on we shopped.
She bought Brut and creams and colours and wipes, I bought a gold glittery cosmetics purse, a small Nivea and robust men's scent. (He WILL wear it...:)
But all this traipsing up and down aisles proved a bit to much for mumsie so I sat her on a stool. But not for long, she said she felt silly. So up she came and after paying we left for Harrods..Ooops I mean the Trinity House Hospice shop..Oh dear, Never in the field of womanly madness has one woman been so in love with one bag. It was gorgeous. I mean I had to have it. So I had it. Black square cotton shoulder bag blazing with dozens and dozens of multi-coloured sequins. £3.
Mum? A paperback novel about some woman and some man and the terrors of misplaced love. Tell me about it...;)
Then came the fright.
As we crossed the road she grasped my arm saying her back hurt so I hauled her and the bags to the safety of the railings opposite the pub and there we rested. She did not look good. Her lovely eyes screwed and her body hanging over the metal bars. God what's going on here I thought.
"I can't walk Ang" she said "my back hurts".
Dropping the bags at her feet and telling her not to make a run for it, I sprinted to the kerb whistling like a right sort to an approaching cab. My manic arm waving making a group of lads laugh. Twats or something similar I thought as Hero Man badge number unknown left his motor and galloped round to help get the old girl in the back.
After telling him where to go he zoomed off at a rate, took all of three mins, we were after all, almost home. Fare £4. But with a cockney twang declined it... but I insisted with a smile. "Take it" I said "you helped"
His warmth and England sticker made my day.
I think I'm in love again....;)
I dragged mum into the lift then along the the balcony till a rattled dad opened the door wearing lemon silk pyjamas.
We said nothing... either about the taxi or the pyjamas.
The rest of the afternoon whizzed by, each of us exchanging views about Mr Cameron, the NHS and that bloody Noel Edmunds. Dad also warned me, nay terrified me, about what could happen if I don't check my oil. Dipsticks were mentioned a dozen times and how years ago when he worked in a garage he'd always offer to check customers oil and tyre pressure. He went on and on till I told him to stop and that I would definitely stick my dipstick in tomorrow and, if necessary, top up with something or other..................Where on earth do I get a tin of oil? He's worried me now.
Dad tottered on from kitchen to front room and back again muttering nonsense about launderettes and cod. He did though, I'm pleased to say, eat his Swiss Roll...
When I said my cheerios I tapped mum's head of pink rollers and squeezed dad's left silky shoulder wishing I could tell them I loved them. But we don't do that.
Going down in the lift my tears fell.
A bit of a day.
Tuesday, 8 February 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
You dont need to tell them you love them they can see it by your visits, the goodies you take to them and going shopping with your mum. Maybe little things but to your parents they are special from their little girl.
Brut - thought that went out in the 60s. Sure not left over from then?
you must be exhausted!
Love always go that extra mile
Post a Comment