Friday, 11 February 2011

Oh cakes and things

I tootled to the shops looking good and feeling happy, and when a woman looks and feels fine she spends:)

Secondhand Goods First:


A M&S chocolate and cream blouse. Small flowers and white buttons. Yummy
A pair of M&S sandals. Shiny and brown with a bit of a wedge. Perfect for Spring.
A smooching c.d.

Then with my heart on fire I drifted into the Co-Op...

Having recently found another must-make recipe I felt giddy with euphoria when buying the major ingredients...a block of real butter, a box of icing sugar and a bag of walnuts.
These along with coffee and other more humdrum ingredients will go into making a squidgy coffee and walnut cake. But that's tomorrow what's occurring today?


Today:

Barbeque chicken in the oven.
An easy good natured dish which will happily sit with its neighbour, an apple and yogurt flan, ideal pud and ideal mate for a cup of tea...
(I'll make the aforementioned coffee cake tomorrow).

Yesterday I made a few large rock cakes, a good traditional workhorse kinda cake which, I'm happy to recall, was one of the first things I made at school.
And although the school cakes were ok they didn't, at that time, have artist's hands upon them.
To the simple recipe I added some chopped glace cherries and then, after fingering them into a rock shape, (I never use spoons) dredged the raw mounds with Muscovado sugar.

Releasing them from their fiery home is always delightful and sometimes painful I don't use an oven glove just whatever is available, the hem of my skirt usually anyway... as soon as they're out they're lifted very gently and laid on a rack to cool.

There's something soothing and reassuring about home baked goodies, but they don't always turn out perfect and neither should they, can't think of anything worse than making a cake which looks shop bought.

Most of the food I make and create has a little madness about it...

Sometimes slightly over cooked, other times, after the insertion of a skewer I find goo attached but given all that I'd still rather make than buy.
While I'm on the subject of imperfection, I once shaved the edges of a burnt Victoria Sponge with Daddy's razor. He was very sweet about it.

Now I must fly all this talk about food has set my tum a-rumbling:)




Cheerio!

2 comments:

Terry said...

So you are smooching in your sandals. Erotic! Then scrumptious and sexy cakes whatever next!!

Terry said...

You sound one happy bunny!