Tuesday, 27 December 2011

An hour after penning last night's poem Mum fainted. Time Midnight.

And as she lay grey in the hall I knew I had to act.

So jump forward 45 minutes and a big Paramedic kneeling checking mum's everything. On the mobile he went 'asking' for an ambulance.
Asking?
Yes. Asking. Apparently a computer is fed information which determines the level of urgency. When the big man told us this I worried about my mum and the country and the NHS.

He was gentle, quiet and very capable, and Mr H and I felt safe in his hands.
Mum knew very little.

And so as he spoke into his phone I reassured mum that all this nonsense was for the best.

3 hours later an ambulance arrived.
Obviously the computer thinking that turning from pink to grey and enduring shocking arm pain didn't warrant sirens. So on the carpet she stayed

The two ambulance men one old, one young checked mum over talking ever so slightly down to her, which by the way, angered me but I suppose they have their way and meant well. So I let it be and bit my tongue. Then into the ambulance we went. It was chilly black and damp and all I wanted to do was to call a stop to the proceedings and go back inside. But sense prevailed and we tootled off.

As we travelled the senior paramedic told of his 2000 + call outs in 24 hours.
Stumped toes, heart attacks and drunks. Stumped toes? Yes he said.
As mum lay wrapped like a Russian doll.
Idiots.

She was wheeled in to a busy but not overly noisy A & E and there we waited and waited. Finally seeing a Doctor 3 hours later.

No need to go on with this is there?
Tests. Keeping her in. Question after bloody question. And the same ones hours later only this time by a nurse.
Mum being the war horse she is told us to go. So after 8 hours of fumbling about on carpets and ugly hard chairs Mr H and I finally got home.

Bed and toast at 9:30 am never looking so fine.

Visited this afternoon, she looked glassy probably weapon grade painkillers and no food so I chased after Staff Nurse Godfrey introducing myself and making him very aware of my concerns. He was calm and looked a little surprised at my eloquence.
We parted sweetly with smiles on both sides.

So back home to beef sandwiches, cat love and a recorded programme about the Space Shuttle.
Sounded pretty good to me...

:)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you found the answer yet? Your mom is brave (so is the daughter), but you must find out how to keep up the balances needed for you mom no to do this again.

Jerry from the West Coast

Terry said...

Whilst you may have concerns, hospital may be the best place for your mum. They can act on any emregency instantly, not relying on an ambulance, provide the right medication and feed her accordingly.Difficult times for you -just be brave.