Two large eco friendly jute bags sit side by side in the kitchen filled with goodies! Lots of pastries and cakes, one or two gifts and six cans of traditional no added sugar lemonade for mumsie. I can't wait to see their faces when I spread open their treasure chest. Reminds me in a way of when I was a kid, Christmas Eve was the only night I offered to go to bed early in the hope that St Nicholas soon would be there.......
And then, just before dawn I'd peep over the green candlewick spread and see, sitting fatly at the end of my bed, a white pillowcase.
I'd then scramble in my jim jams to the bountiful mound lunging my tiny hands inside.
I was given teddies, plastic cookers, post office sets, a Sindy clone called Pepper bought from a stall in Shepherd's Bush market and books and pens and pencils. All thrilling and magical just as diamonds and perfume and cash is now;)
Never ever got dressed Christmas day, much preferring with Mother's consent, to loaf about in new slippers eating toffees and watching her Majesty. Our tree in 1966 was great, a mixture of green and silver and topped with a red dressed fairy, didn't have lights though just velvetty and glassy balls in purple and gold..... how wonderful it all was. I loved it.
Anyway I remember the excitement and the wonder of tearing off reindeer wrapping paper to find trinkets which I remember to this day. I played with my pink cooker for hours!
It's wonderful to receive but more wonderful to give, that's why I lose the plot a little when Christmas comes round. I suppose I just love being Mrs Claus!
Tomorrow I'll enjoy, with all the embarrassing jollity of a middle aged woman whose still a kid at heart, the few hours I spend with the Lovelies, hoping they too feel the one thing I CAN'T wrap.....
Tuesday, 21 December 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Very nicely put Gloria. Hope yesterday went well for you and the lovelys!!!
Post a Comment