Wednesday, 16 March 2011

..After seeing a poorly dad yesterday I was relieved and ecstatic to go to Sainsbury's this morning.

Being known for thriftyness I excelled today after speaking with the butcher who, after putting up with my dilly-dallying and back and forthness cut me off a nice small piece of braising steak from a huge really big piece of braising steak. And as I gazed at the reasonable selection of fresh un-wrapped meats I saw a kidney. Oh yes methought, I want that, will slice and dice and pop in a pud with mushrooms and the aforementioned steak. I was so happy.
The cost of today's meat was £1.23. Way more economical than what I usually pay, but times is hard darlin, so needs must when the devil drives and all that...
And it's no exaggeration when I say I was pleased beyond words...

I then returned to the veg section where I picked up a big box of cheapish ill assorted mushrooms. "Good for soup" it said on the side. "Blow you" I thought these are the meat's mates... ugly or not.

Today's grocery shop was beneficial in more ways than one, not only had I bagged a bit of beef from a bit of alright butcher boy, but loaded up the store cupboard (!) with red lentils for when I'm feeling righteous... See next para.

Being only human I needed pleasure so dropped in the trolley a cool jar of spiced mango chutney which, although not on the list, will be used judiciously with the Vegetable Biryani I'm making this Saturday. Naans will accompany, homemade of course, but only on account of Squirrel Nutkins here having in stock all the necessary ingredients. Why pay when, with a little elbow grease and time, you can have it cheaper, home baked and imperfectly shaped.

So I stuck to the list, mostly, and, after chatting to Barb, I drove home...


Other sweet peculiarities about today:

I bought 500g granulated sugar.

I threw food from my car to Sainsbury's Car Park pigeons.

Will re-heat last night's left over lentil bolog and enjoy with a buttered slice whilst watching The Cheltenham Festival live on C4. Dad had two winners yesterday and treated the kid...
I love watching the cream of National Hunt and yesterday, trainer Paul Nichols (crook), lost control after screaming his horse into the winner's enclosure, and, with a rolled up newspaper let rip his glee by slapping a lady's bottom.
Tally Flipping Ho!

6 comments:

Terry said...

That is some dad you have, is poorly but can still pick his winners at Cheltenham. Thats dedication!

Gloria Horsehound said...

Fighting fit or fragile, rich or poor, good or bad, he's the Best of the Best!

Terry said...

Home cooked items are always nicer and have more flavour. On saturday I will think of you and drool with envy!

Terry said...

Like father like daughter

Terry said...

So no violent/scary movies last night

Gloria Horsehound said...

No dear.