I made a pie yesterday and it was sublime.
The pastry was crisp, golden and flaked away and the meat and mushrooms were enveloped in a creamy white sauce. All together a simple stunning little pie.
Recently queerer gear has taken over the kitchen, queerer gear like curries, risottos and Mexican wraps and as much as I love that gear, I've never lost the my love for quaint old fashioned food, like pies.
Only the other day I made another pie, this time an apple one. I didn't use Bramleys, instead I filled the buttery pastry shell with apples given to me by a mate. Were they cookers or eaters? I don't know, all I do know is that they made a great pie. It was lovely served warm but even better served cold. No ice cream or cream of any sort accompanied it, just a slice on its own on a white plate.
I have a thing about pies.
Pastry is notoriously difficult to make but not if you're patient and kind and have a window open. Coolness is the buzz word when making pastry. Hands, water and implemanats should be cold cold cold. And rest is essential too. After making the pastry, let it relax...
More later......
Tuesday, 29 September 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment