Monday, 7 September 2009

The Lodger

9 a.m.
"Hello Ma'am" said Walter
And then he offered me a cup of tea.
"Do you like it white or darker?" he asked
"Darker" I said loading my bag onto the busy worktop
"I won't get in your way Ma'am" said Walter
"No, you won't" I said

The 28 year old, tall, dark haired Zimbabwean with tattooed arms and gentle manner kept out of my way as I went about my work. But he talked incessantly. About his family back in Zimbabwe, his yearning for work, the English weather, police and animals. Apparently he is an animal lover and had to leave behind a dozen cats, dogs and one monkey when he came here.
"I miss my animals" he said looking out into the garden. I felt for the stranger and so I listened graciously as the he spoke eloquently about all manner of things.

Then Henry came down.
"How are you Angie darling?" he asked
I felt like smashing his face in.
So as I usually do when I'm annoyed, I gave a one syllable answer.
"Fine"
He rattled on to Walter about work and stuff then asked again.
"You alright Angie?"
"Yes, I'm fine thanks Henry".
"Christ" he said "I'm getting gamma rays, I'd better be going"
"Yes you'd better" I said turning my back on him

When he left Walter laughed warily and said
"You have a healthy relationship with Henry I see"
I laughed and went upstairs to collect the fallen pants.

The morning went by quickly and Walter kept to his word by not getting under my feet. Every time I went into the kitchen however he talked and talked and talked. I didn't mind, I have to say, he seems to be a well educated, well brought up young chap who suggested I take a break.
"I'm okay" I said, swinging the hoover around like a perfect dance partner.

Later on as I was leaving he said "It's good to meet you"
I agreed.



On the menu tonight: Beef pie, beans and potatoes followed by strawberries and ice cream.

No comments: