Thursday, 17 September 2009

London and The Village of Silverydew

Mum and dad flicked and skidded from one topic of conversation to the other and being an obedient kid I gobbled it all up.

Lunch today though was quite atrocious.
Some microwaved chicken with strings of asparagus and a pitiful handful of small crustified potatoes. And there wasn't even a pud to ease away the pain!
But I munched away because it would have been rude to leave the carefully thrown together fare.

We then went shopping.
After trying on three dresses which were all too small:( I plumped for a slightly arty-farty affair in mauve. The gorgeous thick woolled dress is shortish so I've decided to wear thick industrial strength tights with it which will in turn look fabulous with knee length boots in coal black! Me must find some...
The dress cost not a lot because it isn't in tip top condition, but I'll bring it back to life with the addition of gaily coloured beads and as the beads bounce so will I.

We then popped into a chemist for creams and lotions and as we looked at red bottles and silver tubs I wondered what I'd look like when I'm mums age. I know I won't wear an anorak. Nor will I go out without my lips licked with coral lipstick and my eyes will always be swept over with earth brown shadow. Maybe blue. But I can't see myself being a plain old lady. I think I'll wear wild scarves and talk to men on trains.

On the train home I didn't look at anyone or take much notice of the passing Essex countryside much preferring to go into the world of 'The Little White Horse'. And as I travelled the railways I also travelled through Maria Merryweather's world. Maria, a young imperfect girl whose eagerness for knowledge, love and everything else and who risked her life to save a trapped hare, had me almost crying.
Elizabeth Goudge is a storyteller second to none.

And then home.
Home to Monty the cat, lovely emails and a slice of fudge cake.
I think Maria would approve...

No comments: