Henry was upstairs when I arrived.
"Hello Angela darling, you alright?"
"Yes thank you Henry"
And then I ran into the kitchen and was met by the usual.
And then Henry left and I was pleased.
I soldiered on.
The doorbell rang at 11 and so I left my half eaten banana by the kettle and opened the door.
A man and a woman stood on the step, I knew immediately that they were religious folk on account of the man's bad suit and the woman's beard.
As always I was polite and listened without fidgeting as Janet spoke for a long time about Adam and Eve and how hard life is. Paul didn't say much he couldn't. Janet was the mover and shaker.
As the wind whipped up their leaflets and hair, I stood in the hallway looking immaculate as always, and the witnesses eyes beamed as they described the new world which was a-coming. Much better than the one we're currently in.
"We used to do cleaning" Janet said "We know how hard and thankless it is"
I bit my tongue for three seconds then said. "It is hard yes, but I laugh a lot too, and that's what counts"
Smiles all round...
And then a woman's loud brutish voice from over the road broke into all our revelries, and that was that. Paul said something about getting on with tasks, I raised my eyebrows and smiled.
Janet hugged her leaflets to her mighty bosoms, thanked me for my time and smile, and walked back to the Kingdom Hall.
I think they'll be back...
Wednesday, 30 September 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
They always come back. It's part of the fun door to door solicitation brings. To remove them someone would have to be explicitly rude. In the long run a smile perturbs them more. Jerry from the West Coast
I think they were pleasantly surprised by my genuine smile,I don't think they're used to it.
Andit gave me a chance to have a conversation without acres of innuendo thrown in.
Can't imagine them liking the nod nod wink wink thing ;)
Post a Comment